Friday, July 8, 2011

Lord Of Scoundrels (Scoundrels #3), Loretta Chase

1 star2 star3 star4 starhalf star
Tough minded Jessica Trent's sole intention is to free her nitwit brother from the destructive influence of Sebastian Ballister, the notorious Marquess of Dain. She never expects to desire the arrogant, amoral cad. And When Dain's reciprocal passion places them in a scandously compromising, and public, position, Jessica is left with no choice but to seek satisfaction...

Damn the minx for tempting him, kissing him...and then for forcing him to salvage her reputation! Lord Dain can't wait to put the infuriating bluestocking in her place -- and in some amorous position. And if this means marriage, so be it -- though Sebastian is less than certain he can continue to remian aloof...and stell his heart to the sensuous, head strong lady's considerable charms.


I loved Lord Of Scoundrels. LOVED.

I have 3 passions in my life (excluding my husband, but let's just leave that aside as obvious): Reading, Caffeine, and Skiing. Perhaps foolishly, I chose to start reading Lord Of Scoundrels in the car on the way to a weekend ski trip, with Husbandman. We arrived, after the five hour long drive, and the snow was gorgeous, if not a little windy. We skied a while, then stopped for hot chocolate (as you do). I immediately excused myself for a 15 minute long toilet break... where I snuck away and continued reading this on my phone's eReader. Throughout the day, you could find me in a lift line (keep in mind it was actually snowing, too), sneaking a few more pages while I waited for the queue to move. Folks, my name is Sarah, and I'm an addict.

Folks Our Main Attraction: Jessica Trent:


This book is awesome for many reasons, but ZONG. The heroine. Possibly one of the coolest female leads I've read anywhere, ever. Fiercely intelligent, independent, wise and witty, take-no-bullshit. Jessica. Is. Just. Kickass.

She's blunt and funny, and the intellectual equal--if not superior--of all those we encounter in the book, and it's lovely reading about an empowered heroine who isn't a damsel in distress. Or a moron. Or both. She's incredibly intelligent, brave, and self assured. She's self-aware, and when she finds herself attracted to Lord 'Beelzebub' Dain on sight, doesn't call herself wanton or wicked. She acknowledges magnetism for what it is (bothersome though it is). Rather than flogging herself, she goes, "oh well, it's natural." Later on down the track, she genuinely enjoy sex within her marriage. No virginal blushing, or nerves, no playing coy.

Most of all, Jessica Trent is whole within herself. She doesn't need a man, or the security of marriage. She's a spinster, but she's capable of supporting herself. She's sane, rational, not hiding some childhood trauma that has her all messed up and dark and twisty inside. All she needs is herself and her good reputation. Herein lies the problem.

After the simply charming Lord 'Beelzebub' Dain destroys aforementioned-good-reputation, She's kind of screwed. Nevertheless, she approaches the situation rationally, plays her cards like a pro.

Also, shooting the hero? THIS IS AWESOME SAUCE. Asshat had it coming.

Moving On From My Jess Love-Fest:

I loved watching the relationship between Jess and Dain develop. It didn't feel forced, they have their probs, but I loved seeing them grow as a couple, and watching Jess heal Dain's heart (which is dark and twisty) is so sweet, I swore rainbows and unicorns were going to burst from the (e-)pages.

ALSO! that Dain's all Byronic-hero-like, and then they're talking about Lord Byron was sort of amusing and not at all subtle.

Lord Of The Scoundrels=AWESOME with sprinkles. And a CHERRY ON TOP.

On a COMPLETE aside, the cover shown is a major case of WTFery. So, so very incongruous with the story withing...

Books in This Series:

While it's worth noting this book IS part of a series, it certainly doesn't need to be read as such--each book is entirely standalone.
  1. The Lion's Daughter
  2. Captives of the Night
  3. Lord of Soundrels
  4. The Last Hellion

Want It?


Lord of Scoundrels at Booktopia
Lord of Scoundrels at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)