Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Shiver (The Wolves Of Mercy Falls #1), Maggie Stiefvater

1 star2 star3 star4 star5 star
Initially, as I know many were, I found myself drawn to Shiver because of that gorgeous beautiful cover. The computer screen doesn't do it justice. Holding this book is like receiving a birthday present: it's a real treat.

But Shiver is much more than a pretty picture.

From Goodreads:

Grace and Sam share a kinship so close they could be lovers or siblings. But they also share a problem. When the temperature slips towards freezing, Sam reverts to his wolf identity and must retreat into the woods to protect his pack. He worries that eventually his human side will fade away and he will be left howling alone at the lonely moon.

Werewolf stories are nothing new, but Shiver is. Told in the dual narratives of our two protagonists, Grace and Sam, Shiver is the story of the star-crossed (though perhaps winter-crossed, is more appropriate) lovers, and their fight to stay together against forces far beyond their control. This, to me, was one of the most interesting aspects of the story. There is really no antagonist to this story--perhaps the lycanthropic condition, combined with seasonal change, is the villain, rather than an individual being.

Shiver's wolves are a refreshing and unique take on a much loved, but much done, genre. I hate to ruin the surprise myself, because it's such a clever and absorbing moment in the story.
The book is told in easily digestible sections, perfect for short sittings (if you can put it down), but the story flows beautifully, and I personally adored Stiefvater's prose (so smooth, 'flowy' and lyrical).

While one could say Shiver shares a lot in common with a great number of other YA PNR around (werewolves, lonely protagonist, absent parents and love story), it had its own special, unique spark that, months after reading it, keeps it fresh in my mind. It should go down a treat with those who like YA paranormal, but the story is told so tenderly and with such beautiful restraint, I believe it could appeal to non-genre readers.

Gripping, hopeful and heartbreaking, I found the story kept me wondering till the very last page.
I flat-out adored Shiver.

Books in This Series:

  1. Shiver
  2. Linger
  3. Forever

4 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I agree with you i absolutley loved this book! I read it awhile back and i fell in love with Grace and Sam!

    P.S. thanks for stopping by and my review for Paranormalcy is already up if you want to check it out! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Paige: SO glad you loved this one tooooo! I just fell head over heel for the cover, then everythign inbetween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your review(: I really liked how this was written also and the unique way these werewolves were created.

    P.S. The Cover is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! Oh, yes, it was SO beautifully written. Maggie's a wonderful writer--not quite like anyone else I've read, and the mythology was SO cool. It seemed kind of... unparanormal. There isn't hundreds of years of lore, or a secretive society, just these poor people trying to survive, and knowing the inevitability of their futures. GORGEOUS.

      YES! THE COVER!

      Delete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)