Thursday, October 13, 2011

Archangel's Blade (Guild Hunter #4), Nalini Singh

This cover FREAKS me out. NOT in a good
way. I can't stop staring at his abs o_O
Title: Archangel's Kiss
Author: Nalini Singh (author website)
Release Date: September 6, 2011
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Paranormal/Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 1 star2 star3 star

From Amazon:
The severed head marked by a distinctive tattoo on its cheek should have been a Guild case, but dark instincts honed over hundreds of years of life compel the vampire Dmitri to take control. There is something twisted about this death, something that whispers of centuries long past...but Dmitri's need to discover the truth is nothing to the vicious strength of his response to the hunter assigned to decipher the tattoo.

Savaged in a brutal attack that almost killed her, Honor is nowhere near ready to come face to face with the seductive vampire who is an archangel's right hand, and who wears his cruelty as boldly as his lethal sensuality...the same vampire who has been her secret obsession since the day she was old enough to understand the inexplicable, violent emotions he aroused in her.

As desire turns into a dangerous compulsion that might destroy them both, it becomes clear the past will not stay buried. Something is hunting...and it will not stop until it brings a blood-soaked nightmare to life once more...

I was putting off starting this book... and after starting, I can't for the life of me figure out why. I really enjoyed it. It left me grinning and happy. That's a good sign.

I was unsure of this book after I finished Archangel's Consort. Dmitri? Really? But what about Elena and Raphael? And did I mention Dmitri? Millennia old asshole extraordinaire, Dmitri? You know, the one who tried to kill Elena, chased her through NY, tied her to a chair, tortures her with the scent mojo, and continually reminds her and anyone who'll listen that Elena's not good enough for Raphael? The one who sort of hates anyone with boobies? Yeah. That one.

Well, after reading a few pages, it didn't matter. It furthers the story in the first 3 books, and builds on one of its major side characters. Dmitri is still Dmitri, but he gets some backstory, some motivations, and new a girlfriend. He's not neccessarily a good guy, but he's interesting, and has his appeal when viewed through Honour's lens.
Honour is another kickass heroine with major issues (like Elena), and she's just sort of awesome. Other side characters fans of the series know and love make substantial appearances, including Illium (Illium! Illium!), Ashwini, Ransom, Venom, Raphael and Elena (of course). We also get to see some more of the elusive Jason, and find out what happened to poor Holly Chang.

I have a slight issue with Dmitri as a romance hero: Women Dmitri isn't interested in sexually are fine. He's perfectly capable of being gallant and kind, but his apparent view of women he *has* an interest in bedding (other than his dearly departed wife) is as pieces of meat, and it makes him slightly unappealing. He'll never love anyone besides his dead wife, and in the end, he stays true to that, and he keeps on loving her (which is awesome. here's a man who takes his vows seriously). It's just the tendency towards the objectifying women, and the sexual cruelty... but maybe if I really have a problem with that, I'm reading the wrong book.

Archangel's Blade. It's cheesy, yes, and it has its faults, but its fun to read. And ultimately, that's why I read romance and urban fantasy and PNR. For the fun and the escapism. Archangel's Blade delivers.

Note:

This is the fourth book in Singh's Guild Hunter series, and you may be a little lost if you don't read the three preceding prior to this. Plus, they're awesome :D

The Books:

  1. Angel's Blood
  2. Archangel's Kiss
  3. Archangel's Consort
  4. Archangel's Blade

1 comment:

  1. I agree. Overall I enjoyed the book but it was cheesy and had many faults. But I can't help but devour all books from Nalini Singh.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)