Saturday, October 29, 2011

Her Christmas Pleasure, Karen Erikson (ARC Review)

1 star2 star3 star
Damien has been desperately in love with his best friend's widow, Celia, for years, but doesn't believe he's worthy of her. Celia, grieving her departed husband, never before saw Damien as a man. Unable to stand to be around Celia, but not with Celia, Damien is leaving the country on the first of the year, but a shared kiss beneath the mistletoe will change things for both of them...

If you want electric tension, heat, and a smoking-hot sex scene, well, Her Christmas Pleasure might just be your bag, baby.

The Good:

From page one, the tension between Celia and Damien is palpable. Their mutual yearning for each other is the driving force behind the story, and he two clearly adore each other. The scenes between Damien and Celia's five year old matchmaking son are adorable.

Also, I don't know about you, but I love a good novella. It's the romance novel stripped back to its bones. The tension is condensed and concentrated, the interactions more succinct, no dragged out 'will they, won't they' (it's a romance novel! Of course they will!). At 20,000 words (that's about 80 pages), Her Christmas Pleasure delivered everything I need and want when a romance craving hits me. It's a nice little Sunday afternoon 'me-time' read.

The Hmmmm...

The book gave me a couple of unintentional giggles. Given the Regency/Victorian (I'm not sure which, read: eighteen-hundreds England) setting, the sometimes colorful language and actions of the leads seemed incongruous to the time setting. But hey, it's Christmas! Live and let live.

Want It?

Her Christmas Pleasure at Amazon

This book was provided to me as ARC, free of charge, from the publisher. No money/favours/miracles/back-door deals or illicit activities changed hands/occured/etc. This doesn't effect how I rate a book: I believe you're here for an honest review, and I'll give it, or, as I've mentioned before, say nothing at all. If I say I liked a book? I really did :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)