Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Inside Out (Insider #1), Maria V. Snyder

Title:Inside Out
Author: Maria V. Snyder (author website | blog)
Release Date: April 2012 by HarlequinTEEN Australia
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Sci-Fi/Dystopian
My Rating:1 star2 star3 star4 star

Inside Out is an accessible dystopian novel, aimed at young adults. I personally think this is one of Snyder's strongest outings yet, and very unexpected after her Study and Glass series of books.

From Goodreads:
Keep Your Head Down.
Don't Get Noticed.
Or Else.

I'm Trella. I'm a scrub. A nobody. One of thousands who work the lower levels, keeping Inside clean for the Uppers. I've got one friend, do my job and try to avoid the Pop Cops. So what if I occasionally use the pipes to sneak around the Upper levels? The only neck at risk is my own…until I accidentally start a rebellion and become the go-to girl to lead a revolution.

Set in a whole new futuristic and dystopic world, we meet Trella, a 'scrub'. The scrubs make up the lower, and largely oppressed class of this society, and her days, like her fellows', are filled with the mundane tasks of cleaning and providing necessities (cooking, waste management) job of her society. Trella feels disconnected from her society, and spends her free time isolated in the air and heating ducts of the facility known only as 'Inside' that is her home. Her world takes a very sudden turn for the dangerous when she reluctantly agrees to help a new 'prophet', who brings hope to finding 'Gateway'--the mythical doorway to the equally mythical 'Outside'.

Trella is another strong female character from Snyder (reminding me slightly of Yelena from her Study books), and she's imperfect in a way I believe would appeal to fans of the Hunger Games' Katniss.

Inside Out reads as a sort of mix between the brilliant middle-grade 'City of Ember' (Jeanne DuPrau) and the bleak, yet equally brilliant Hunger Games trilogy from Suzanne Collins, yet it never feels bleak. Sure there's mortal peril, and stakes are high as Trella constantly risks being 'recycled' (read: executed, and her corpse recycled to keep 'Inside' running, as are all people, animals, and materials in this futuristic society). She's curious and intelligent, and while disillusioned, seems to lack the cold bitterness that (fairly enough!) characterised Katniss.

It's a brilliant and thoroughly entertaining read--not to be missed by fans of the brilliant Maria V. Snyder, or YA fans who like a pinch of (very sweet and very 'clean') romance with their sci-fi.

I cannot wait for Outside In!

The Series

  1. Inside Out
  2. Outside In

Get It:

Inside Out at Booktopia
Inside Out (Harlequin Teen) at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)