Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Just Like Heaven, Julia Quin ****

1 star2 star3 star4 star
Honoria Smythe-Smith is:
A) a really bad violinist
B) still miffed at being nicknamed "Bug" as a child
C) not in love with her older brother's best friend
D) all of the above

Marcus Holroyd is:
A) the Earl of Chatteris
B) regrettably prone to sprained ankles
C) not in love with his best friend's younger sister
D) all of the above

Together they:
A) eat quite a bit of chocolate cake
B) survive a deadly fever and the world's worst musical performance
C) fall quite desperately in love

It's Julia Quinn at her best, so you know the answer is . . .
D) all of the above


Just Like Heaven is a delight. It's actually one of the first romances I've read where there has been actual story and real effort gone into creating a plausible basis for the feelings our protaganists have for one another. Indeed, many romances I've read work as romances, but not so much as a work of fiction I'd typically enjoy outside of genre. I'm often left wanting for more fleshed out characters, motivations for actions, and for our heroine not to act like a normal human being with the ability to reason (not that this does, or ever will, stop me from reading. I love romances, I'm just trying to being critical and intellectual and what-not).

Yes, it's light and fluffy, and a very easy read. But it's a plausible and believable light and fluffy very-easy-read, that still keeps that element of fantasy and whimsy that keeps me reading.

The journery to Honoria and Marcus discovering their feelings for each other is so sweet. There's back story there, but we see the feelings between the two develop from affection and friendship into something much deeper.

I read this book with such a big smile that my face now hurts, and there is one particular scene with a 7 foot rabbit hopping through someone's bedroom in a laudanum induced hallucination (the person, not the bunny, being under the influence) that had me in stitches.

Honoria and Marcus' shared history, friendship, and love of desserts (treacle tart!) make the couple a perfect match, and an absolute joy to follow. Such a sweet, fun romance. The wit and humour make the book such a good read. Read it read it read it!


Books in This Series:

  1. Just Like Heaven
  2. A Night Like This (2012)
  3. As yet unamed book 3
  4. As yet unamed book4

Want It?

Get it from Booktopia
Get it from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)