Saturday, October 22, 2011

Some Girls Bite, Chloe Neill (Chicagoland Vampires #1)

1 star2 star3 star4 star
Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was Merit's. She was doing fine until a rogue vampire attacked her. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker-and this one decided the best way to save her life was to make her the walking undead.

Turns out her savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now she's traded sweating over her thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o' the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred- year-old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects her gratitude- and servitude. But an inconvenient sunlight allergy and Ethan's attitude are the least of her concerns. Someone's still out to get her. Her initiation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war-and there will be blood

 
I thoroughly enjoyed/... loved... love love LOVED Some Girls Bite. I was immediately sucked in by Merit's friendly, chatty voice, and the book has a lot of things going for it. I was expecting the usual UF/PNR book, but Some Girls Bite reads like chic-lit with vampires. It is, quite simply, a hell of a lot of fun.

Interestingly enough, the book didn't seem super-tightly plotted... more like the author started off with an idea (girl becomes vampire), and decided what was happening as she went along. There's a murder-mystery happening in the background, but the book is really about Merit's transition to vampiredom, and her journey to to come to terms with her stolen humanity.

What the book *does* have is stellar characters, and fantastic, snappy dialogue. I especially appreciated Merit's BFF, Mallory (HIGHLIGHT FOR SPOILER: a nascent sorcerer). She's trying to come to terms with the change to her life, too. It's the relationship, giggling, and in-jokes between these two that I adored (more than the relationship between Merit and her potential love interest(s)!

On an aside: I have a slight objection to this being labelled 'Paranormal Romance'. There's definitely a romantic subplot, but for me, a requisite for a book to be considered 'romance' is some sort of relationship resolution, and you'll be left unsatisfied if you want anything aside from chemistry and suspense (though it's very satisfying chemistry and suspense). The romance is obviously a subplot that will play out across this series.

The book gets bonus points for hilarious chapter titles--something that's missing from way too many books these days!

Books in This Series:

  1. Some Girls Bite
  2. Friday Night Bites
  3. Twice Bitten
  4. Hard Bitten
  5. Drink Deep (US: 1st Nov. 2011/AU: 10th November 2011)

Want It?

Some Girls Bite at Booktopia
Some Girls Bite at Amazon

2 comments:

  1. I own this book and am glad I swiped it up for a dollar at a library book sale a month or two ago. I haven't read too many adult UF/PNR books, but I do love Jeaniene Frost's Night Huntress and Richelle Mead's Succubus series, so I thought this series might be kind of like those books. This one sounds like a book I'll like because characters are the most important part of stories for me and good dialogue is what makes a book great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another Sarah :)
    It's enormously fun (or so I thought). I'd only really read YA UF/PNR prior to this year, with the exception of Sookie books. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)