Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Soulless, Gail Carriger

1 star2 star3 star4 star

Gail Carriger's delightfully witty 'Soulless' is a joy to read. Fun, fast-paced, and most certainly lascivious in parts, we follow Miss Alexia Tarabotti through a Victorian England populated by vampires, werewolves, ghosts.

Alexia has a knack for trouble. Firstly, she's 'soulless'--a preternatual being lacking a soul, and thus able to cancel out the supernatural abilities of vampires and werewolves; secondly, she's a 26 year old spinster; and thirdly, she is most rudely attacked by, and accidently kills, a vampire at a ball. She could possibly live with this if it weren't for the abominable manners of said vampire.

Thrust into adventure and intrigue, Miss Tarabotti must deal with mortal peril, the romantic overtures of a man who's both a werewolf AND scottish (appalling! though he is so very appealing) and make time for tea at the meantime.

I can't think of anything I didn't love about Soulless. The witty dialogue, banter between the players, and a cast of secondary characters equally as enjoyable as Alexia herself. The tension betweent the romantic leads is palpable, and the Victorian setting makes it absurd in a way I adored. I loved Alexia's motivations and reactions. After being attacked by a vampire, she's not upset by the attack, but by how incredible rude it was, and that a perfectly fine treacle tart was destroyed in the process. The book also earns props for an awesome cover, that sticks out in today's marketplace.
A thoroughly entertaining read for romance, steampunk, paranormal fans.

Get It:

Soulless at Booktopia
Souless at Amazon

1 comment:

  1. OOOOH this DOES sound fun! I so need to check it out, especially if I love the feel of GSTQ. And what convinced me? YOUR AWESOME REVIEW. Why yes, I am most certainly stalking your early posts to see if the reviews actually do suck. And I have discovered you're a liar :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)