Sunday, October 16, 2011

Venom, Jennifer Estep (Elemental Assassin #3)

1 star2 star3 star
It’s hard to be a badass assassin when a giant is beating the crap out of you. Luckily, I never let pride get in the way of my work. My current mission is personal: annihilate Mab Monroe, the Fire elemental who murdered my family. Which means protecting my identity, even if I have to conceal my powerful Stone and Ice magic when I need it most.  

In Venom, book 3 in the Elemental Assassin series, Gin goes after one of the big targets: Mab Monroe's number 2 - giant, Elliot Slater

I was pleasantly surprised by Venom: it seems a real step forwards in terms of quality and style (if not story, which is really much the same formula) from the first two in this series.

While still not perfect, the issues which frustrated me in the first two books (mainly constant repetition of previous events), while still there, are toned down to a reasonable level, rather than every few pages. It allowed me to get involved in the story without having to force myself not to skim ahead in frustration.

Venom also benefits from the absence of a certain, rather unlikeable, detective, who's been replaced with a new, and far more interesting love-interest.

My only serious gripe is that Estep risks Gin becoming a bleeding heart if she continues on the road she's following, and the silly flaws I find in the story. Gin's a super-secret, highly-skilled assassin, right? But she's so flip, and rarely takes any precautions to protect her identity, and those of the people around her. She risks exposing Jo-Jo and Sophia to discovery, and from there, she's only one (rather simple) step of logic away from being discovered. She leaves files on targets and various people lying around, along with all her weapons, and she'd be caught in her own web. I wish she'd be more careful, because it creates a more believable, and more immersive, story.

Neverthless, for the issues I have with this book, and its predecessors, it seems like the Elemental Assassin series is improving, and I enjoyed this installment.

Books in This Series:

  1. Spider's Bite
  2. Web Of Lies
  3. Venom
  4. Tangled Threads
  5. Spider's Revenge

Want It?

Venom (Elemental Assassin, Book 3) at Booktopia
Venom (Elemental Assassin, Book 3) at Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)