Saturday, November 12, 2011

Digging Up a Favourite: One Foot In The Grave (Night Huntress #2), Jeaniene Frost

Title: One Foot In The Grave
Author: Jeaniene Frost (author website)
Release Date: May 1st 2008
Age Group: Adult
Genre: Paranormal/Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 1 star2 star3 star4 star

What's The Deal?

The Night Huntress books, by fabulous evil-author, Jeaniene Frost, are one of most favourite my UF/PNR series. So, because I can, every Saturday for the next few weeks, I'm going to dig up reviews of the first five books. I'd love to hear your thoughts on these books. Love them? Hate them? Can't wait for a double dose of Vlad with the Night Prince books next year?

BEWARE: This review contains spoilers for the first book in the series, Halfway To The Grave, reviewed last week.

 You can run from the grave, but you can't hide...

Half-vampire Cat Crawfield is now Special Agent Cat Crawfield, working for the government to rid the world of the rogue undead. She's still using everything Bones, her sexy and dangerous ex, taught her, but when Cat is targeted for assassination, the only man who can help her is the vampire she left behind.

Being around him awakens all her emotions, from the adrenaline kick of slaying vamps side by side to the reckless passion that consumed them. But a price on her head—wanted: dead or half-alive—means her survival depends on teaming up with Bones. And no matter how hard she tries to keep things professional between them, she'll find that desire lasts forever . . . and that Bones won't let her get away again.

Review:

Cat's back. But now it's Special Agent Cat Crawford...

It's been four years since Cat left the love of her life, Bones, sneaking away in the hopes of protecting both his life, and her mother's. Screw her own happiness. It could never work out with Bones anyway, and she'll never be happy without him. So as long as they can't be together, she'll keep him safe. She's now working for a secret department of Homeland Security, dealing with the undead like only she can.

A job Cat's working takes an unexpected twist, and when Bones shows up at her best friend's wedding, well... will she be able to control her attraction to him? Pfft, you know the answer: hell to the no.

Cat has grown a lot in the last four years. She's now a foul-mouthed, gin-swilling, 'raging bitch'. By her own admission. And boy, is she bitter. She's living for her job: killing the undead. Without Bones, she doesn't really have much joy in her life. Cat drove me nuts in the first Night Huntress book, Halfway to the Grave. She was immature and prejudiced, and while I understood this (and it was an important part of the story), I really appreciate that she's grown into the character she was clearly intended to be. Seeing Cat adjust her outlook on the future of a relationship between her and Bones is very sweet, and watching her finally stand up to her vindictive bitch of a mother is worth gold.

The pace in this book is rocketing--it's non-stop action. Whether it's Cat and Bones, or Cat and Bones kick ass, Frost keeps it moving along like a freight train. This installment has more action, more excitement, and more *ahem* everything than the last.

We also see far richer worldbuilding than the previous installment. Where Halfway To The Grave focused mainly on the mystery and sizzling tension between Cat and Bones, One Foot In The Grave has a far richer background. Secondary characters are now more than a backup cast: they're rich and multi-facted. Cat has friends, colleagues, and the added dimension these add to the story and world are invaluable. As much as I don't necessarily like him, Cat's relationship with Tate is interesting, and important, I think, in grounding her.

As with Halfway to the Grave, the book's really a vehicle for the sizzling interaction and relationship between our two heroes. It has some of the hottest scenes in it I've ever read (or seen on TV), and actually had me blushing (chapter 32--you'll know what I mean).

All the issues I had with Halfway to the Grave are gone in One Foot in the Grave. Cat's grown up, Bones doesn't push her around as much, and we have the two on much more equal footing. There are so many laugh at loud parts of this book (Bones v. Tate, and Bones and Justina). The Night Huntress series have filled a Buffy-shaped hole in my heart, and this instalment is infinitely better than the last. If you enjoyed Halfway to the Grave, you'll LOVE One Foot in the Grave. Read it.

Books in This Series:

  1. Halfway To The Grave
  2. One Foot In The Grave
  3. At Grave's End
  4. Destined For An Early Grave
  5. First Drop Of Crimson (Night Huntress World #1)
  6. Eternal Kiss Of Darkness (Night Huntress World #2)
  7. This Side Of The Grave
  8. One Grave At A Time (September 2011)
  9. As yet untitled book 7, expected 2012.

Want It?

Get it from Booktopia
One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress) at Amazon

8 comments:

  1. Happy follow Friday!!! My blog is hosting two currently giveaways (the one that just started today is for your choice of a Wendy Delsol book! Stork, Frost or The McCloud Home for Wayward Girls!) I would love it if you would stop by an enter! Thank you and TGIF/Happy Veteran's Day!!!

    Sincerely,
    Emma
    The Writers Voice:
    http://OurBooksOurVoice.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this series (in large part because I have a major crush on Bones--quite possibly my favorite male character in all of the books I've read)! The Night Huntress series is tied with the Vampire Academy series for my favorite series of all-time, even though I've only read the first three books of it so far. I'm actually saving the next three for times in which I am in a book rut or have a really bad day and just need to read something that I know will be amazing (because how can you go wrong with Cat and Bones?). I've already bought the remaining books on my Kindle, though!

    The Night Huntress series was my second venture into the UF/PNR genre (the other series I've read in this genre was Richelle Mead's Succubus series, which I really enjoyed). I want to read more UF/PNR books, but don't know where to begin. Do you have any recommendations for other great UF/PNR series?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, thanks for stopping by! I adore Cat and Bones, also mainly because of Bones :D
    I'm siting in the car giggling with my BFF about him as we speak. Ihaven't read the succubus series, but I hear very good things. Inreally want to read them myself.

    If you like Cat and Bones, possibly try:
    The Sookie Stackhouse series. They really are fun, and the first few are the awesomest.

    Nalini Singh's Guild Hunter series, starting with Angel's blood have angels the main characters are angels, but there are vampires. Similar kickass heroine with major daddy issues. The love interest isn't quite Bones, but stil kind of awesome.

    I've just been reading Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampires, starting with Friday Night Bites. They start lighter in tone than Nught Huntress, with a really friendly, bubbly, heroine, and are lighter on the actual romance, but heavy on romantic tension. They get more into it as they go along, and I LOVE these books.

    Everyone seems to love JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series, but I'm not quite so sold. Nevertheless, they might make a fun read :)

    Hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still waiting for this from library, I am hanging to read it!!!

    MIchelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear it's my favorite in the series--I hope you love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, thank you so much for all of the suggestions! I think I'll start with the Guild Hunter series or the Chicagoland Vampires series because I have the first book of each of them and I've been pushing them aside in favor of YA books, but I'm in the mood to start a new non-YA series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Sarah: I really hope you enjoy them. The Guild Hunter books are kind of like pizza and chocolate... I know they're junk, and they're bad for me, but I just can't help myself--I LOVE them :D

    I've been on an adult PNR/UF kick for a while, and I'm about to go the other way: I have a massive stack of YA books on my side table waiting to be devoured :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed the first Night Huntress book and decided to read the second one. Wow, was it great. The story of Cat and Bones continues to unfold and as it does it reels you in deeper. I love how the book not only develops these two characters but begins to develop a series of additional characters that make you want to read more and more of this series. Kudos to Jeaniene Frost for another great read. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Blog Archive

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)