Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!



Happy Halloween, everyone!

I can't think of a better time to read something a with a spooky twist, so I thought I'd make some Halloween themed recommendations, but really what I'm aiming for is the 'creepy' factor:

Yes, we have vampires, but have you read the original? Dracula is creepy, gothic horror at its best.

While not exactly scary, Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, about a young boy who is raised by ghosts in a graveyard, became an instant classic for me. Ghosts, ghouls, graveyards, vampires and werewolves. What more could you wish for?

Rosemary Clement-Moore's The Splendor Falls, a more modern ghost story surprised me with how darn good it is, where two young people discover secrets about themselves, and that the past maybe isn't what it seems. The town this takes place in is constantly replaying events of an alarming past secret.

I don't know about you, but Hush, Hush, by Becca Fitzpatrick scared the willies out of me when I decided a good time to read it would be home alone one night, with all the windows open. After Nora starts thinking she's losing the plot, and has imagined a break-in, I ran around my house closing all the windows and pulling all the blinds. Not really a halloween themed book, but plenty of sinister scares and creepiness.

Happy reading, folks! Are you reading anything spooky to celebrate?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)