Monday, January 9, 2012

Frostbite (Vampire Academy #2), Richelle Mead

Title: Vampire Academy
Author: Richelle Mead (author website)
Release Date: August 16th 2007 by Razorbill
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Paranormal
My Rating:1 star2 star3 star4 star

Oh. My. Goodness. Rose Hathaway is back, and she’s the reason we have the word BADASS. Frostbite, the second instalment in the Vampire Academy series, is rather obvious evidence that there is a real reason this series is so colossally popular.

From Goodreads:
Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose…

It's winter break at St. Vladimir's, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy's crawling with Guardians—including Rose's hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand-to-hand combat with her mom wasn't bad enough, Rose's tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason's got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa's head while she's making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy's not taking any risks… This year, St. Vlad's annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.

But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price…


I honestly don’t know why it took me so damn long to read Vampire Academy... and then waited months before reading Frostbite. After (finally) reading it, I’m sold... but where do I start? The amazing BFF relationship? Unique, fascinating mythology? The swoon-worthy-doesn’t-even-cut-it Dimitri? Hmmm... how about kickass, smart-mouthed, VAMPIRE SLAYER, Rose.

A Rose By Any Other Name...

ROSE. She’s tough, gutsy, and fiercely loyal. I love the relationship she shares with her best friend, Lissa. She cares and she believes in her convictions. She’s smoking-hot-drop-dead-gorgeous—and knows it—and an outrageous flirt, which is enormously fun, but I think what I love most is her impulsivity and recklessness. She acts first, thinks later. She’s gotten better than she was in Vampire Academy—she’s grown and developed—but, rather than this making her a bit ‘too stupid to live’, it makes her unpredictable, and fun to follow.

Politics Come Out To Play

Frostbite really ups the political game, and I get the impression it will continue in this direction even more as the series progresses. The question of the sustainability of a society (and, well, species) completely reliant on minority group they treat as inferior, while allowing themselves to become more and more physically weak and defenceless is raised, and there are some really ugly questions asked about just how far the wealthy and privileged will go to maintain their lifestyle and feel safe. It really seems like the privileged Moroi Royals look down on their Dhampir Guardians as being sub-human, and I mean, guys, come on, how long do you think they’ll let that go on for? Who actually holds the power here?

If I’m Honest, The Real Reason I’m Reading...

Dimitri... My heart melted when Dimitri called Rose, Roza. *Happy sighs...*
The tension between Rose and Dimitri in Frostbite is palpable. My chest ached every time the two shared a page... but something else showed up in Frostbite that caught my attention. Something interesting. SOMEONE. The infamous Adrian Ivashkov. 

Things get messy in Frostbite. Trying to force herself to get over Dimitri, Rose is getting closer to Mason... then Adrian shows up. Who she doesn't like, but does. My heart broke for Mason, who it's very clear Rose likes a lot... just not the right way. Eevery time she convinces herself she could make this work, Dimitri walks round a corner, and her reaction to him is almost physical. And then my heart breaks for them.

Um, so, in the past, I’ve complained—heartily, loudly, and... well, at times, constantly—about love triangles (dirty words! dirty words!). And I can see where this is going... but I like Adrian. And I like Dimitri. This would be the first book I’ve ever read where I like both potential suitors, and it’s not an obvious choice... I mean, other than Dimitri.

The Verdict

Frostbite left me with a tonne of unanswered questions. While Vampire Academy (being a first book) worked as a standalone, Frostbite feels a lot more like a series instalment, but this is not a criticism. It gave me a fabulous sense of more fabulous—and terrifying—things to come. Progress has been made, new dangers and questions have arisen, and some unresolved issues from VA have been poked and prodded, and danced around. Mead ends it on a note artfully balanced between leaving me rabidly demanding resolution and a sense of satisfaction at the story’s conclusion. Evil, evil, EVIL WOMAN.

Frosbite is exciting, gripping, fun, and heartbreaking. Vampire Academy took me by surprise, and Richelle Mead has upped the game again. A fantastic follow-up and addition to the series!

Books in This Series:

  1. Vampire Academy
  2. Frostbite
  3. Shadow Kiss
  4. Blood Promise
  5. Spirit Bound
  6. Last Sacrifice

23 comments:

  1. Will read this one soon!!! My heart so MELTS when Dimitri called Rose 'Roza' in VA. I sighed so many times! Okay, so Adrian appears in Frostbite heh? I wonder if I'll still be siding on Dimitri after readinga about Adrian...

    AWESOME REVIEW SARAH!
    Thank you so much for you know, making me re-read VA with Brodie and making me love the series! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahaha this is the only book of the series I have in physical copy! Good thing you gave it five stars. I've been saying this but I WILL start this series soon, you make me so excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I loved this series - keep reading :-) And as you mentioned, one thing I did like was that even though there was a sort of love triangle - I honestly liked both Dimitri and Adrian - I love how the author made that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Celine: Oh. My. Word. When Dimka called Rose Roze for the first time in Frostbite I squealed, and my stomach did some kind of acrobatic trick I can't even begin to describe. And seriously? THANK YOU! You got me to read Anna, and now I have another person to squeal about Dimka and Adrian with XD

    @Elena: Oh. My. Word. It's SOOOO good. But come book 3, they're even better. You have no idea. I really love Frostbite, but I didn't crazy-head-over-heels obsessively love it... and Shadow Kiss changed EVERYTHING. I turned into a total shut in, and back-to-backed the whole series in a week!

    @Tanya: YESSSSS! I finished the series beginning of last week. I'm not a big love triangle fan, but Mead did it artfully... normally I don't LOVE both guys, but I really, truly did here. I wanted Dimka and Rose together, but I ADORED Adrian. PERFECT. I couldn't be team anyone as I loved him SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG. I am so excited to start reading this series. I love your reviews, too. They help me accept that I will be spending money on getting the whole series soon.

    On another note, how do you put your book summary in that box (highlighted) thing? I see a lot of blogs do this but can't figure how to do it myself. Also, how did you change you favicon? I've tried HTML codes I found on the web but nothing has worked so far. Sorry to bother you but sometimes I can't figure these things out so I have to ask. Plus, your super cool so I don't feel embarrassed asking you. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've made us fans all proud with this review. So happy you love this series! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jennifer: Oh, they're good. And just wait till you get to Shadow Kiss. TRUST ME.

    @Erin: Mwahaha! BUT THEY'RE SO GOOOOOOD. Oh my goodness, I can't believe it took me so long to read them >___<
    Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gah! BRILLIANT review! So glad you love this series! Dimitri <3 <3 Making the coyboy duster look cool since '07!!! Omg, I can't wait until you read Shadow Kiss, but I'm not saying ANYTHING about it, ecpect maybe bring tissues....wish someone had told me that.

    I hope you read Bloodlines when you're finihsed with VA too Sarah. It was excellent!

    <3
    Rachel @ The Rest Is Still Unwritten

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doesn't this series just get better and better? Frostbite is my favourite of the bunch but the next one is a heart starter for sure. I love Rose but I read this series for Dimitri as well :) If you decide to go the Adrian route, I won't complain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very curious to read this one now! I just read the first one but it was a nice read. Glad this one was interesting too. I hope your questions will be answered soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For real. My dictionary has Rose Hathaway listed beside "badass". And Dimitri Belikov beside "god". And Adrian Ivashkov beside "sexy". Not even lying. IT DOES.

    Your reviews for this series may be the best I've read, because you're so freaking GOOD at analysing and gushing. I so agree with Erin, you made all VA fans proud with this review!!

    Also, if my googling is correct... while Sarah translates to "Capa" in Russian, your nickane whispered from Dimka's lips would be "Sarichka" <333 (Although it is possible my Google ninja skills failed haha).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahh, it's been so long since I've read Frostbite! Your review is making me want to go back and re-read. :P I loved Frostbite. Great review. :)
    - Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  13. And I scream "YESSSSSS" and pound my fist up into the air. Vampire Academy is one of my favorite series, I'm SOO glad you're enjoying it, it just keeps getting better. I don't often fall in love with characters - even if they are sexy and all that.. but Dimitri, I swoon for him too! And yet Adrian.. i like him too! I love his sense of humor and playfulness, his lackadaisical attitude and yet deep down you know he cares a hell of a lot more than he ever lets on. I don't often enjoy love triangles, but this one works in my opinion. Mainly because both guys truly deserve the girl for different reasons and ... I could go on and on :D

    Seriously great review. For as much as I loved this series I sucked at the reviews I did for it because I just couldn't get my thoughts together - it was like everytime I tried to write it came " I LOVE. MUST READ. DIMITRI SWOON. ADRIAN AHHHH. ROSE KICKASS." haha

    So rock on with your review prowess!And for putting together all the words I wanted to!
    April @ My SHelf COnfessions

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree! the reason I adore Rose so much is because of her 'act first, think later' it makes her more fun to read about! and also, even though her decisions are reckless, they're always good hearted. She always has someone (lissa, dimtir or her friend) in mind. It's not like she's insane for no reason, all her actions are for some else. They really do come first! *phew, wipes eyebrow* I though I was the only one who's heart skipped too much beat every time Dimitri is mentioned. The interaction between him & Rose might not always be definition swoony & cute but for some reason I'm always grinning like an idiot & sighing in happiness when the two of them are together. His nickname Roza should have not been in the book, what a weapon! sooo sexy! I love Adrian equally to but I've always been team Dimitri FOR Rose, I don't mind Adrian for me;D

    I hope you enjoy the rest of the series, I can't wait to see your thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Racquel! YES! It doesn't matter WHAT Dimitri and Rose are doing together on page, they're ELECTRIC! Oh. My. Goodness. And Roza? Oh my goodness. The word could be X-rated the way he says it, I swear :O

      Delete
  15. This is my favourite serie ever! I lvoed Frostbite so much! I cried so so hard in the end. :( Priceless!! :) <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Oh my goodness, Mason </3
      And the series just keeps getting better! Unbelievable!

      Delete
  16. Oh my gosh, I know!!!!!! I just LOVE it when guys in books call the main character girl by a nickname that no one else uses because it makes it seem so special and sweet and and swoonworthingly adorable! <3 But I have to admit... later on in the series, I was totally Team Adrian! <-- this is how I've earned the name "crazy" by several Russian-accept fan-girls! x)

    AMAZING review, Sarah!!! LOL I loved your opening paragraph -- Rose is totally one major definition of BADASS in my dictionary too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSS! It made me all weak at the knees :D
      OK, so, I TOTALLY adore Adrian... but I don't want him with Rose, if you know what I mean? I'm totally team Rose/Dimka, but I ADORE Adrian :D

      Delete
  17. I can't believe you are only just reading this series! Although, considering the covers I can't say I blame you. You're right about the third book blowing everything out of the water and across the country - talk about a twist. The worst part was when I first read Shadow Kiss, Blood Promise didn't come out for another four months - it was torture. I was in a bad mood for days.

    This blog came at the perfect time because although I've reread the series a few times, I only picked up Frost Bite last night to reread. There is just something about that one that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  18. VA is one of my favourite YA series, I hope you love the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally agree with the review! I think that I've been reading the book just for the scenes where Rose and Dimitri were together, they're such a great couple- he is calm, she is impulsive- I love them!

    PS- no one can replace Dimitri- Adrian is just a passing romance...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh...before I forget...Roza.. *sigh*
    It's such a romantic nickname, especially with a russian accent (I'm russian myself) Everytime dimitri called Rose like that I felt that I was going to explode...that's the first series that made me feel this way... can't wait to read the next book!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)