Friday, March 30, 2012

Catching Suki (Hunting Lila #0.5), Sarah Alderson

Title: Catching Suki
Author: Sarah Alderson (author website)
Release Date: February 1st 2012
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Paranormal
My Rating:1 star2 star3 star4 star

It’s no secret I—and every Aussie blogger I know—have a passionate (though perhaps one sided) love affair with Sarah Alderson. Her brilliant Hunting Lila and Fated blend tension and supernatural with pitch-perfect teen romance, and she does it again in Catching Suki—in only twenty short pages.

From Goodreads
The Unit are closing in and Demos needs one of his team to go deep cover.

Enter Suki.

Fashion obsessed, boy-crazy and more than a little kooky, Suki is a mind reader with a special talent for buying shoes and for listening in on private conversations.

Tasked with infiltrating the enemy (namely Jack and Alex) Suki rises to the challenge, leaving a trail of chaos, destruction (and a large room service bill) in her wake.

A prequel to the events of Hunting Lila and including many of the characters from the book, this short story told through Suki’s eyes, will have you laughing out loud and gripping the edge of your seat.

The Story:

A freebie short story, Catching Suki is set immediately before the events of Hunting Lila. Shoe obsessed, boy-crazy Suki Nakamura is a ‘psy’—a human with seriously-cool psychic abilities. What Psys can do varies, but Suki? Suki can read minds. It makes her a little eccentric, and prone to having conversations with people they don’t expect to be having, but it also makes her an ideal spy. On the run from shady special-ops team ‘The Unit’, Suki and her fellow band of misfits need all the intel they can get, so Suki’s mission? Get close to to Unit’s keyplayers: Jack Loveday and Alex Wakeman.

Thoughts:

Adding a little extra depth and back-story to the already fabulous Hunting Lila, Catching Suki gives us an insider’s view on the group of Psy’s, and a look into the mind of one its most memorable characters. Unsure of herself, and of anyone around her, when Lila meets this group in Hunting Lila, she's ruled by mistrust, and unsure of what to believe. From Suki’s standpoint, we see them as they are, and it’s a fun and disarming look at a group of people who are just... friends. Not villains. People drawn together by circumstance, trying to survive, with a warm, affable bond.

In Hunting Lila, Suki comes across as eccentric at best, and possibly a pinch crazy. From her point of view, we meet a girl who runs at a hundred miles an hour, and is having a constant conversation with everyone in the room—whether she wants to or not. Hard to seem focused when five different people are thinking at you. And, if she’s not distracted enough by that, she’s mentally undressing (in more ways than one), every hot boy in sight. Goddess of characterising brilliant teen protagonists, Sarah gives Suki a completely unique voice. She’s an utterly distinct character, nothing at all like Lila, or Fated’s Evie, or anyone else for that matter. She’s opinionated and spoiled, but kind and fun. She remains light-hearted despite her genuinely life-or-death situation. She’s an enormously entertaining character to read: pure and simple fun.

In addition to getting to know Suki, we also see another side of Hunting Lila’s story—the moment Jack and Alex find out Lila’s coming to town, how they encounter Suki for the first time, and just WHAT Suki’s doing staring through Jack’s mailbox. Perhaps it’s best read after Hunting Lila for these reasons.

The Verdict:

Catching Suki’s a breath of fresh air. Fun, fast-paced, and an utterly delightful protagonist—what more could we ask? Sarah works her magic again, and I can’t think of a better way to spend a cup of tea and a half hour than with this—or any of her characters. Just what’s needed to pass the time between now Losing Lila.

Books in This Series:

  1. Catching Suki (#0.5)
  2. Hunting Lila
  3. Losing Lila (August 2012)

And you thought it was awesome before? Well... for a limited time, you can download Catching Suki for FREE, thanks to Sarah a GirlTank!

33 comments:

  1. I'm dying to read this because I have a great love for the author's work. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah is FABULOUS! Yes! And it's such a quick fun read, too :)

      Delete
  2. I've read Catching Suki and love it too! But there's still some time till Losing Lila is released... I think I'll just re-read my own copy of Hunting Lila again. :D

    Agree with your review! Just what we need to fill our time till Losing Lila. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Oh, seriously, yes... there's still TOO MUCH time until Losing Lila! Dying here! Totally deserves a re-read :D

      Delete
  3. I have it since it came out, but haven't got the time to read it yet! I love Hunting Lila and Fated <3 <3 Sarah Alderson rocks!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Nea, I'm so glad I read it when I did. Such a quick, easy, fun read. LOVED it. How amazing is Sarah??

      Delete
  4. Great review! I loved this short too and read it straight after Hunting Lila. I couldn't get enough! I love Sarah Alderson's writing style and seriously can't WAIT to get my hands on Losing Lila. Hopefully it's just as great as her other books! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Oh, I love Sarah's writing, her imagination... Seriously, I just love Sarah... er... not third person. I love Sarah Alderson. She's amazing <3

      YES! So excited for LL, and have high hopes... but Sarah's not let us down yet :D

      Delete
  5. Cool! I never heard of this author before. The writer sounds amazing! Fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! Oh, Sarah's fantastic. Her debut, Hunting Lila is FABULOUS.

      Delete
  6. LOL Sarah! One-sided love? Hopefully Sarah loves us all! And yes, PRECISELY! All Aussie bloggers I know love Sarah's books!!! I haven't read this (SILLY ME!) but I think I've got it downloaded somewhere! MUST READ THIS SOON!!!!

    Awesome awesome review, Sarah! <3 Can't wait to meet Suki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EEEEEEEEE! OK, seriously? Sarah commented on my Goodreads review and told me it wasn't one-sided. I'm feeling very loved XD

      Seriously, C! Read it--I KNOW you'll love it. Suki is HILARIOUS. I named my husband's car after her: Suki the Subaru XD

      Delete
  7. Hmmm, interesting. I never heard of this series or author before. Would you suggest it for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... you know what? For YOU, I'd recommend Sarah's second book, Fated. A slightly more adult sensibility, third person for a change... it feels a bit more UF, and gritty? But I'd TOTALLY recommend HL to ANYONE... I just mean, knowing YOU, if you know what I mean??

      Delete
  8. Jeez, almost everyone I know LOVES this series--and now here you are, teasing me, too! It sounds fantastic, Sarah--and I think the fact that the story was so satisfying to you is a sign that the books are great, too.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there's a reason--Sarah's fantastic :D
      Such a good read--I hope you love her books if you get to them. SO worth it.

      Delete
  9. Great review, Sarah! Gosh, I want to read her books sooo bad. As soon as I have the time, I'll be picking up Hunting Lila! I can't wait. And I'm so glad you liked this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeee, Bex! Sarah's amazing--I KNOW you'll love HL when you get to it :)

      Thanks yoooou! ♥

      Delete
  10. I guess I'm the odd one out! I know I need to read Sarah's books... I promise I will SOON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You SOOOO need to! I'll even lend you if I need to! ♥

      Delete
  11. OMGOMGOMGOMG ADOUSAHDOUAHDSDIA WHY HAVEN'T I READ THIS YET?!?!?! I NEEDDD TO IMMEDIATELY! Suki was seriously one of my favourite characters in Hunting Lila sooo I cannot wait to read her story! Eh...where did my downloaded copy go? I swear I downloaded this a while ago, but just never got round to reading it :S I WILL THOUGH! It sounds sooo awesome<3 Amazing review, Sarah<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Suki was my fave, toooo! I named my husband's car after her, immediately after finishing the book: Suki the Subaru. Seriously, I love her even more, now! I love seeing what's going on in her head :D
      SHIRLEY. I KNOW YOU'LL LOVE IT :D

      Delete
  12. Oh wow that chick cover is gorgeous. and wow again because this sounds so pretty interesting and wow once more for your amazing review Sarah! Shame I havent read any of Sarah Alderson's book but I swear I will read this as soon as Im good. I have Hunting Lila and Fated waiting to be read. geez! Im so way behind already. Ill add this to my tbr too. thanks Sarah great review. x
    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, SERIOUSLY. The girl is drop dead gorgeous. I kind of just keep staring at the cover... I maybe have a slight girl crush?

      Thanks Lalaine! Sarah's fantastic--I'm sure you'll love HL when you get to it :)

      Delete
  13. Hehe, "and possibly a pinch crazy" why am I feeling Suki would fit in incredibly well with all us Aussie bloggers? I'm so glad you read this! And adored this! But does it in any way ease my want of Losing Lila? NO. But it was so fun and I love Suki and Jack and Alex guest star, so I'm happy for a while :D

    Also, I'm beginning to notice that people with the name Sarah are kinda fracking awesome. WHO KNEW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe... I have no idea. None at all *cackles* Fit in with us? Hmmm... nothing to do with the crazy, surely... she DOES have fabulous taste in book boys?

      I EFFING LOVED IT! Seriously, an entire book from Suki's perspective. W A N T.

      Hehe! And who knew? ME! I KNEW XD

      Delete
  14. i'm afraid to admit, as an aussie blogger, i've NEVER read any of sarah alderson's novels, but this series sounds too good to miss! i love stories about supernatural powers. definitely going on my tbr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emmmmma, noooooo! SHUN! SHUN THE NON BELIEVER! *cough* sorry, I kid.

      Hunting Lila is FANTASTIC. I mean, I've read dozens of stories about girls with supernatural powers, and you've probably read even more. But Hunting Lila feels really fresh and original? Hope you love when you get to it :)

      Delete
  15. "It’s no secret I—and every Aussie blogger I know—have a passionate (though perhaps one sided) love affair with Sarah Alderson."

    Ahaha, I can't stop laughing... Aww, Aussie bloggers. *grabs you all in a massive group hug* Obviously Sarah loves you all passionately toooooo. She'd be crazy not to ;)

    FIRST BRODIE. NOW YOU. One would think you were trying to get me to read Sarah Alderson or something, gosh........

    Suki sounds like such a fun, eccentric character. I'm kind of curious as to the MULTIPLE ways she's undressing the males in her line of vision but I'm also eager to meet her for what seems like such a vibrant personality. I love MCs that make a lasting impression -- especially in 20 pages! <3

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh!!! I could've sworn I already commented on your review and said my bit of "EEEEEEEEEEEEEE, SARAH, YOU LOVED IT TOO & NOW I WANT TO HUG YOU SO RUUUN!" but for some reason I haven't yet! :O Because I'm pretty sure that it was reading your review for this that made me go back and re-read this book again. LOL or maybe that's the reason why I accidentally forgot to press publish... haha x)

    But anyways, I love your review for this, Sarah!! And I loved how Sarah (the other Sarah, the one who wrote this book and breaks the awesome scale like you do) wrote Suki to be completely different from both Lila and Evie too! It made me love her (and this and YOU, if I'm throwing that in there) more! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Sarah Alderson. I have yet to read her, though I bought Hunting Lilah a few weeks ago. Between you and Brodie, I know I NEED to get on reading it as soon as possible! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read Catching Suki yesterday, I didn't realise how close it was to the events in HL. But boy was it awesome!

    Awesome review Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So you say my questions about the Great and Crazy Mind of Suki Nakamura will be answered? YES. PLEASE. I loved Suki in Hunting Lila, and if this story brings a bit more depth to things, then OF COURSE I want to read this. Your review just makes me want to hop on it faster than I'm capable! XD

    Asher

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)