Thursday, July 26, 2012

Author Interview: Katie McGarry, Pushing the Limits

It's no secret I adored Pushing the Limits, the lovely Katie McGarry's debut novel. It's a wonderful balance of fantastic characters, smoking hot romance and that certain something that elevates a story from wonderful to pure magic. So I jumped at the chance to interview Katie, and I am so excited to share her answers with you today!  Whether you loved Pushing the Limits, or are dying to get your hands on it, read on to learn a little more about the lovely Ms McGarry!



Echo and Noah are both extraordinary characters--there's a real rawness and authenticity to them both. Where did they come from? Is there a bit of you in them?

Katie: I was actually free writing for another story when I found Echo’s voice. I loved her wit, but my heart also ached for her. She intrigued me so I continued to free write. Because of that, I soon met Noah.

When I write, I never consciously know that I put pieces of myself into my characters, but I discover it once I read the first draft. I’ve never put huge chunks of myself into them, but I do put pieces. Echo and Noah are not immune to this.

I was bitten by a dog in second grade and repressed the memory until college. I gave this experience to Echo.

I was very close to my friends growing up. In fact, they became my family. I gave this trait to Noah.

You handle the issues of abuse, trauma and the systems there to support their victims with real sensitivity, but also with a great deal of insight. How did you approach Echo and Noah's counseling and experiences?

Katie: I researched by reading articles and by talking to people who have had involvement with the subject matter whether professionally or personally.

Who would be your dream picks to play Echo and Noah in Pushing the Limits: The Movie? Let's say time travel's an option--anyone from anytime!

I’ll be honest, I’ve never been able to pick anyone to play Echo or Noah, but it is so much fun to see who my readers think should play them.

One of the things I loved most about Pushing the Limits was the love story. I mean, for many reasons, but I love the way you portrayed real love, not infatuation. It takes work, compromise and commitment. Was this something you deliberately set out to focus on?

Katie: I don’t think it was something I purposely focused on. I think it was just there. Echo and Noah could have just been attracted to one another, but they did fall deeply in love. The two battled against their trust issues and gambled on letting someone inside their heart.

In life, we’ll have people that we are infatuated with and there will be people that we love. From experience, real love takes those elements that you listed above: work, compromise, and commitment—from both people, not just from one side.

Can you tell us anything about what you're working on at the moment?

Katie: I’m currently working on revisions for DARE YOU TO, a companion novel to PUSHING THE LIMITS. DARE YOU TO follows the story of Beth, a secondary character from PTL.

Last one! Is there any one thing you hope readers will take from Pushing the Limits?

Katie: PUSHING THE LIMITS is a story of hope. I want my readers to know that regardless of the situation you find yourself in, there is always hope.



A big thanks to Katie for her time,and to the incredible folks at Harlequin TEEN Australia for arranging this interview! If you want to know more about the Amazing Katie McGarry, or Pushing the Limits, follow the links!

27 comments:

  1. Oh I love this interview! Especially her answer to your last question, here really should always be hope :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennnnn ♥
      I love this BOOK. And yes, her last answer was so perfect :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh, this interview makes me more interested in getting my hands on the book. I love books that deal with serious topics but always offer hope. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so hope you do, Jessica! It's a WONDERFUL book. It reminds me a lot of Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles, but, well... I liked it even more :D

      Delete
  3. AMAZING interview, ladies! I like seeing how parts of the author are interwoven into the characters - like the repressed memory for Echo and friend/family relationships with Noah. I'm REALLY eager to see what she has planned for Beth's story - I love companion novels! And especially when they're so closely tied to the main characters of the previous novel and we get cameos :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CAMEOS! CAMEOS! CAMEOS! JAKE AND HARPER *DANCES*
      But seriously, YES! I'm VERY interested to see where she takes Beth... and I really hope it means Isaiah gets his happy ending, too. He's a sweetheart ♥

      Delete
    2. Oh hell yes for cameos! Sarah Dessen does that all the way through her books and I adore it. It just adds that little bit extra depth and reality - like the author's nodding to the reader and saying "I know you love them, I love them too"
      And what's this about Jake and Harper? Jake and Harper are in Harrington's new book? *forgets to breathe with the excitement of it*

      Delete
    3. Hehehe! Alex, I tweeted you. I so hope we get to see Echo and Noah again in the next book, and they're happy. It would be LOVELY :D

      "like the author's nodding to the reader and saying "I know you love them, I love them too." THIS.

      Delete
  4. Also, I love this interview. Especially question 1, 2 and, well, all of them.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This may have come up once or twice, but... have I mentioned I love you? ♥

      :D

      Delete
    2. Maybe...but I never get tired of hearing it. I LOVE YOU TOO

      Delete
  5. I completely loved this book!! :) And Sarah!! Amazing interview ;) ;) Ahh Echo <3 I really miss her. Should pick this book up again lol :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, I KNOW, right? It's one of those ones I couldn't get out of my head. SO wanna go back and re-read :D

      Delete
  6. Awesome interview!! I loved Pushing the Limits :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Alison! It was a wonderful book. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  7. OMG, wow. I LOVED this interview. I am actually going to start this book tomorrow. Now I am even more excited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SQQQQQQQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Ooooh, Jen, I can't WAIT to see what you think. The chemistry between Noah and Echo? *swoon* SO hot for YA.

      Delete
  8. Great interview! I love Katy's answers. And these questions? Amazing. Reading Pushing The Limit's next :D

    P.S - Yay for cameos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview, Sarah and Katie! I loved both the questions and the answers. The mention of a movie is making me badly wish there was one! Maybe one day we'll be able to see Noah on the big screen. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saaaaam ♥
      Thanks so much! Oh my goodness... this would make a WONDERFUL film... Noah/Echo <3

      Delete
  10. Awesome interview, Sarah! Oooh, I am dying to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this book and I LOVE your interview my dear!! ^____^
    It is so full themes and topics! I thought I would only find a love story, but I was gladly surprised with so much more. A story with depth and emotional weight that is now one of my favorite 2012 releases!!

    Thanks for sharing this and letting me know more about the author and the book =D muah!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NATALIAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I LOVED it, tooooo! So so glad you did, and honestly, it's one of the best contemps I've ever read... I mean, not that I've read many, but I really, truly loved it :)

      Delete
  12. That is a hard one to think who could play Noah and Echo? I had the thought of one guy who was in a movie I watched with my daughter and he just hit my mind when I was reading Pushing The Limits, he had that same sort of look and character...darn what was the movie....thinking....Thomas McDonell he was in Prom 2011 ??? LOL!!

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1604171/

    Wonderful interview!! Miss S

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Blog Archive

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)