Wednesday, August 8, 2012

AAA: Interview with Jay Kristoff, author of STORMDANCER!


The little known author of a little book called Stormdancer, I'm sure many of you will be wondering who today's AAA guest is... or not. Few books generate the level of buzz Jay Kristoff's STORMDANCER has, let alone months before its relase, but there's a reason. In fact, there are a few. Not only is Stormdancer exquisitely imagined, and his writing masterful, anyone who's spent a moment reading Jay's blog or following him on Twitter knows he's hilarious, brilliant, and, quite frankly, badass. Anyone who doesn't know already is about to find out. Welcome to AAA, Mr Kristoff!


You worked in advertising prior to writing Stormdancer, and our research seems to indicate you may also be a ninja, World Beard Championship contender (I hear this is the guy to beat), and once played drums in a little grunge outfit in the nineties. Also, our research may or may not be wildly inaccurate. You're a busy man. Was writing always the goal?

Jay: First up, oh my god, what is up with that dude’s beard….

I wish I could say “I wrote my first novel when I was 13 and I’ve always dreamed of being an author” because that’s what lots of authors seem to say. But to be honest, I always dreamed of being a rock star, or maybe the corrupt dictator of a small island nation, and when I was 13 I was too busy fantasizing about Dr Beverly Crusher in Star Trek: the Next Generation to write down much of anything….

...TMI?

As I got older, I wrote as a hobby, but never took it seriously. The last thing you want to do after writing TV scripts all day is come home and write more. My first book (trunked) began as a scene I scribbled down when I was bored at work, and somehow over the next 18 months, it became a book. A screaming train-wreck of a book, granted, but still a book. I discovered that I really liked the process of novelling (it is TOTALLY a word) and the feeling of purpose it gave me, so I decided to get serious, learn how publishing actually worked and see where it took me.

Five years later, here we are :P

Stormdancer has received glowing praise from the likes of Patrick Rothfuss, Beth Revis and Scott Westerfeld--kind of HUGE. Has it really sunk in? Do you still have that fanboy moment when you hear from a favorite author?

Jay: TOTALLY. I’m still blown away that writers of that calibre not only didn’t die of a brain haemorrhage after they read it, but actually liked it. You figure there’s just no way someone that famous is going to have the time to spare to read. But the great thing is, if the stars somehow align and you manage to get in touch with writers like that, you find out they’re totally awesome people who just love books. Everyone in this industry has had someone help them out along the way, and most folks are happy to share the love they were once shown if the right book comes along.

It’s a great feeling. Every famous author I’ve dealt with has been frackin’ awesome tbh.

What's been your funnest (it's a word, I swear) moment writing so far?

Jay: Surprising myself. There’s one twist near the end of Stormdancer that even I didn’t see coming. I’d kind of written myself into a bind, and was just typing away on this scene without any idea how it was going to end, and this voice in my head said “Wouldn’t it be cool if...”

And that twist is probably my favorite part of the whole book now.

When it happens, it’s frackin’ magical.

And the dullest?

Jay: Copy proofing. I hate copy proofing with the fury of a thousand burning suns. It’s like being slowly bludgeoned to death with a bag of dicks.

Last one! You say you don't believe in happy endings... what about in real life? With book one coming out and two more on the way, are you living the dream?

Jay: It’s fantastic, don’t get me wrong. I’m happier than I’ve ever been. But I’m a pessimist by nature. I’m fully expecting the Eurozone crisis to peak and the world descend into financial chaos about three days before my book actually hits shelves. Either that or aliens will abduct me and replace me with a lizard wearing my skin...

...god I watch too much crappy TV...




Find Jay on: Goodreads Website / Blog | Twitter | Facebook

That  fanboygirl moment I mentioned earlier? I'm having it now. Thanks so much to Jay for his time--I laughed out loud (in public) reading his interview, and I hope you enjoy it, too. Want to know more about Stormdancer? Check it out using the above links, go stalk Jay on Twitter, or read his blog. If you think he's fun here, you don't know the half ;)

31 comments:

  1. Wonderful interview, Sarah! I've spoken to Jay Kristoff a couple of times on GoodReads and he's such an easy person to chat with! I love how honest he is and that he can be funny without even trying! I was lucky enough to get an ARC of his novel and I looved it, so I'm thrilled you got an opportunity to interview this genius himself! ;) Brilliant post! :D

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keertana! Oh goodness, he's hilarious, huh? I LOVED his answers :D

      Delete
  2. Gosh, Jay. You really DO watch too much TV: "I’m fully expecting the Eurozone crisis to peak and the world descend into financial chaos about three days before my book actually hits shelves. Either that or aliens will abduct me and replace me with a lizard wearing my skin..."

    Anyway, great interview! I laughed out loud, too (more like laughing and snorting, though)! And that guy's beard looks freaky. I much prefer Jay's one. O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahaha! Yes, I think Jay has the beard way more under control. As for the too much TV? Maybe he just has a fantastic imagination--part of being a fabulous authoerly person XD

      Delete
  3. Fantastic review! I can't wait to get my copy of Stormdancer and see what the fuss is all about. haha. Jay sounds like a hilarious guy. Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW you're gonna love it, Erin! And I've only read, like, 50 pages :D

      Delete
  4. Fabulous post, Jay is DA BOMB. Seriously, he's so hilarious. And I love that he's so nice and easy to talk to, yo. (Blame it on Jay, I only get this way when he's around...I always feel like saying YO...Strange, huh?) Sarah, your amazing <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so cool Jay was writing a scene, and suddenly came up with an amazing twist without planning to. Awesome!!!! Fantastic questions and answers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is the funnest post so far
    this will be hard to beat

    ReplyDelete
  7. ROFL I love this Interview!!! Incredibly funny! Stormdancer was amazing! and Jay: Let's hope Eurozone won't get in any deeper crisis as we are right now ;(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Baha! I laughed out loud reading this interview! Insightful questions and fantastic answers. I will definitely be checking out this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome Interview!!!!!!!!!

    How much fun is Jay and he totally writes his answers from the heart. I have my interview sitting here, I was posting it 10th but I may delay as I am waiting on something.

    I am soooo hungry for book 2, I may starve waiting:D

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG Jay is ha-ha-hilarious. Lovely interview, both of y'all! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful answers. Terrfifc interview

    I notice he didn't deny being a ninja *squints suspiciously*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jay is hilarious! I love reading all his interviews as they are so entertaining. I hope I can say the same thing about Stormdancer - which I should be picking up soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, he actually sounds pretty damn funny! Maybe I will like Stormdancer? We'll see! Thanks for the interview, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG, I think I am in love. Seriously. I want to marry this guy, and I NEVER want to get married. I want to have little Stormdancer babies with his brain. I will now be looking up his twitter and such because I must get more of him.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "It’s like being slowly bludgeoned to death with a bag of dicks." That's really something... I love following him around the blogosphere - he has a wicked sense of humour. And from the moment I read the synopsis for 'Stormdancer' I knew I had to get it. Fingers crossed! Lovely interview, and WOWWHATABEARD!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome review I am looking forward to reading Stormdancer and think my head would explode if I received such praise from Patrick Rothfuss, Beth Revis and Scott Westerfeld.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes I did read it a fourth time after you originally showed the answers to me. And yes I still laughed LIKE A CRAZED MANIAC. On launch night you’re going to meet a side of me that is full of fanboying, hilarity and just crazed speech. SERIOUSLY! Jay would do that, wouldn’t he? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahahaha! Seriously, I think it's funnier every time I read it... and I've read it a lot mroe than four times. I can't WAIT for your interview! Let's keep him. Watcha think? :D

      Delete
  18. I am a writer myself, and I just LOVE when I surprise myself when writing. It just feels ... awesome, so I totally agree with you that some of the best things comes from surprises.

    Stormdancer sounds really great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I can imagine that would be EPIC. I'm really loving Stormdancer--hope you do, too!

      Delete
  19. "It’s like being slowly bludgeoned to death with a bag of dicks." *coughspluttergiggle* I'm almost tempted to google that, just to see if any poor soul in this world has met their end in this tragic way, but Google is Big Brother and I don't want him making assessments on my personality based on downright weird searches...

    I LOVE THIS INTERVIEW. Seriously, you think the guy can't get anymore awesome, but then he does. And you want to hate him for it, because it's not fair one person be so darn talented AND hilarious, but you can't.

    Also: it would REALLY be something if you guys are at the Stormdancer launch party and then suddenly out walks this lizard-Jay-man on stage... hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH GOODNESS, RIGHT? I originally read his interview standing in the supermarket with a shocking flu and collapsed into a pile of giggles :D

      I LOVED his answers. OMFG. CAN YOU IMAGINE?! LIZARDJAYMAN O___O

      Delete
  20. Sarah. THIS IS THE BEST INTERVIEW EVER. I've gotten to know Jay a bit on Twitter and GoodReads (haven't we all, that man is everywhere!), so I loved how the tone of your questions fit in perfectly with Jay's personality. Or at least, the public persona that his Secret Ninja Guy presents to us.

    Love the Q & A, and I really have to get off my butt to read my copy soon!


    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WENDY! YOU MADE MY DAY! Seriously, Jay's HILARIOUS, and and and... I love his sense of humous. I seriously hope you love Stormdancer! I'm reading it now, but struggling to find time to really give it my undivided attention, which is what I want! ♥

      Delete
  21. Great interview! Jay is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been waiting on reading this book for a long time and it's almost here! Jay is crazy hilarious and so cool in interviews. He is a treat. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. AAHAHAHHA I LOVE HIS SENSE OF HUMOUR. Funniest, best interview ever!

    "It’s like being slowly bludgeoned to death with a bag of dicks." AHHAHAAHHAHAHA! Sorry, I'm cackling like a maniac at the moment, that was hilarious!
    Holy shit I can't wait to get my hands on this book and fangirl out even more than I already am! GOD!

    Hang on, going to reread this about 5 more times :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG THAT BEARD O_O Like, what is that....

    I LOVE THIS INTERVIEW! <333 Seriously, I'm starting to wonder if it'll be possible for me to read something Jay's written and NOT die of laughter. I am TOTALLY with you on the fangirling and I haven't read Stormdancer yet. BRILLIANT interview! :) *goes to re-read*

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Blog Archive

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)