Thursday, August 2, 2012

AAA: Interview with Lauren Kate, author of FALLEN!


Lauren Kate needs no introduction. Her devastatingly romantic Fallen series—the tale of star-crossed lovers, Daniel and Luce—has sold millions of copies around the world, and after four years, four books, and thousands of pages, has finally drawn to a close. I was so excited about the opportunity to interview Lauren. She's incredibly gracious and sweet, and cheesy or not, it's an absolute honour to have her open Author Appreciation August.  So, without further ado, the one and only Lauren Kate!


Four books and four years later, it feels like the end of an era as a fan, but how about you? Has it been difficult ending the series, and saying goodbye to your characters, or cathartic?
The actual ending of the series is so right for the characters that I actually found it really satisfying to compose. There were moments earlier on in the book when I wept—a first for me. I know there will be moments in the future when I miss some of the characters—not Luce and Daniel, I don’t think (we really said goodbye to each other on the best terms). But for now, I’m looking toward the future, toward new characters and new worlds and new love stories.

Are you excited to move onto new projects? Is the freedom a little daunting?
I'm definitely excited about working on my newest project. The success of the Fallen books surprised me, but I think I've learned to funnel the support from my fans and all the momentum from that experience into creating a new series.

What's been your most rewarding moment writing?
The whole process really, from the actual writing and rewriting to publishing and meeting the fans, has been rewarding. I've enjoyed finishing each book, seeing the jpeg of the cover concept for the first time, and being able to meet my fans in person on tour. It's an exciting process and I think each part is pretty rewarding and humbling.

And the most difficult?
One of the difficulties in writing a series is that I think it’s important that the series grow up as readers up. Even though Luce only ages by a few weeks in the span of time between books, readers are aging about nine months to a year from the time one book is published to the time the next one is released. I try to grow Luce up in big leaps with each book, much like readers do.

It can be easy to overlook the amount of historical detail in a book while caught up in the romance, but I remember you posting photos of enormous piles of myth and history books while writing Passion, and I'm sure we only saw a fraction of them. Just how much time did you spend on researching writing the series?
With Fallen, I had to start from scratch because I knew very little about Angelology. I read everything I could on Heaven, Hell, angels and demons—in the bible, in apocryphal texts like the books of Enoch, in critical research, and in fiction like Paradise Lost. Passion was more rooted in history and location. Many of the scenes in the book took place in settings I had visited—Chitzen Itza, Versailles, Jerusalem, The Globe in London--but many of the others are lifted from some of my favorite settings in novels I've loved. You'll see allusions to Hemingway in the Milan hospital, to Bulgacov in the Moscow chapter, to Wilkie Collins and Gaitskill in Helston, just to name a few.





Find Lauren on: Goodreads | Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

A big thank you to Lauren for her time! I don't know about you, but I kind of love her. If you feel the same, why not take the time and tell her? Send her a tweet, a Facebook message, or do something to spread the love!

Don't forget to go enter the AAA giveaway! It's open internationally, and there are DOZENS of prizes to be won!

33 comments:

  1. As you know, I haven't read the series. But I always love to see authors talking about their work. I learn some fascinating things and they are well spoken and it always makes me want to read their books anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! And Lauren (wonderful name, of course) is so sweet and gracious!

      Delete
  2. This series seriously has the most gorgeous covers. While I didn't enjoy the first book, I will be reading the rest since I hear they steadily get better...Plus those covers keep calling to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, YES! I originally picked up Fallen because I was in LOVE with that cover! What really has me about the series is the side characters and MYSTERY. I NEED to know about Daniel and Luce's past!

      Delete
  3. Ohhh great interview!! I am fascinated with the historical aspect of the Fallen series and that's what has me hooked on them, as well as the mystery of Luce and Daniel's past! I think Lauren Kate did brilliantly in regards to making Luce grow up more in each installment!

    Awesome post :) And I need to read Rapture but I have my fingers crossed a boxset or something will come out :) haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, a BOXSET? *DROOLS*
      I was a little miffed the paperback for Passion was bigger than Fallen and Torment--I WANT THEM ALL TO MATCH. THEY'RE SO PRETTY! THe boxset would be amazing...

      Delete
    2. I KNOW! I have the first three already but I hate that Passion is so much bigger and I'd love a boxset for this series anyway *eyes glaze over* FINGERS CROSSED!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic interview! I love the historical aspect of the Fallen series . . . just always fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Little surprise Passion is my favorite in the series so far ;D

      Delete
  5. Awesome interview! I really enjoyed reading it, Lauren is one of my fav authors!! :) I love your blog and am a new follower! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! Lauren is AMAZING! ♥

      Delete
  6. Fantastic interview, loved your questions and I always enjoy getting to know the author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimba! Same here--and Lauren was a wonderful interviewee!

      Delete
  7. I haven't started this series yet but I'm glad to hear your a fan :) Great interview! I love Lauren's answers and the questions you ask are brilliant! Yay for our first ever AAA interview!! *hugs* <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely interview! Letting go of characters is hard enough for a reader so I can't imagine how authors feel about it, especially since they've dedicated so much of their time to creating the characters. Can't wait to see more from AAA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab interview!!!<3 I can't wait for Lauren's newest projects :D (Wait...I have to finish Rapture first- I WILL READ IT SOON!)<3

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely ADORE Lauren Kate! And I am a big fan of the Fallen series! Luce and Daniel's story broke my heart!
    Love the interview but this also tells me not to expect a Cam spin off *sad face*

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is definitely a fantastic opening post :) I think it's fantastic that Lauren thinks about how her readers age and try to replicate that in her books. Very insightful interview :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. I loved this series and the wrap up was wonderful. Danny's right - it would be nice to see Cam's story have a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wonderful interview. I need to pick up this series.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've wanted to read Fallen by Lauren Kate for such a long time now.

    Great interview! You can really feel the author's passion for her books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read any of the books in the Fallen series but I do adore the covers. I can totally understand the amount of research Kate did when writing this series as I have an angel series of my own in the works and there is just so much out there! Good news that she has other works in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such an awesome interview! Although I was a little disappointed with Rapture, I loved this series as a whole! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. LAUREN ROCKS!! This interview is super cool. I love how Lauren is so satisfied with the ending and feels so attached to her characters. I would feel like that too! How some authors kill of their beloved characters, I'll honestly never understand. But it is kinda fun. ;) Love the interview, Sarah! Lauren is such a star and all her books are oh so romantic and epic. <333

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the amount of research she embarked on prior to writing each book, with mythology and especially the settings in Passion. I totally agree with her saying the ending was right for the characters.... oh, it was a beautiful way to end. So fitting, so beautiful, but also sad :( I

    will miss Arriane and Cam the best, I ADORE those two <3 BRILLIANT interview, you lovely ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved this interview! Lauren Kate is always so kind to her fans. I actually had the chance to meet her this Spring, and I can say that she is the most gracious, friendly author I've ever met. I was blown away by her kindness.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great interview! I've yet to finish this series, but I am looking forward to seeing how everything wraps up. I'm also looking forward to seeing what else Lauren has in store for us in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, Sarah!

    Thanks for commenting on my WOW post yesterday!

    What an interesting interview you've brought us here, and with none other than the GREAT Lauren Kate!! AWESOME!! I've read the first three books in the series, and can't wait to get into the fourth!! And those covers...I love all those gorgesous dresses!!

    I'll get more information on this wonderful event you and Reading Wishes have put together. What a TERRIFIC idea!! Thanks!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely interview! The covers of her books are pretty :) I still need to continue (must pick up book 3) and I think they are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great interview and awesome event idea!!! I can't wait to check out more posts. I have read all of Lauren Kate's books aside from Rapture (I haven't finished it yet!) so I am really looking forward to reading more of her work!!! I am sad that the Fallen series has ended but I can not wait to see what Lauren Kate comes up with next!! I adore reading the historical fiction aspects in the series so I can understand how much research that must involve and the whole writing/publication process really does sound super rewarding!!! Awesome post :-)

    SeeitORreadit


    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful interview! Some of her answers I hadn't though of in the writing process. Learn something everyday!

    I have to read Passion and Rapture:D

    Awesome Sarah!!

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had the pleasure of meeting Lauren when she toured Oz last year and she stopped in my town for a book signing. Not in Sydeny, but my local mall, how cool is that?!?! Anywhoo, I've only read Fallen so far, but I made sure to buy copies of Torment and Passion for her to sign and she was sooo super nice! And she's extremely pretty in person--her pics do her no justice :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Blog Archive

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)