Friday, August 17, 2012

AAA: Elizabeth Norris, author of UNRAVELLING with 5 Quotes that Inspire Her!


A few weeks ago, I read a book and it blew. my. mind. That book? Unravelling by Elizabeth Norris. Words can't explain how excited I am to have her here today, sharing five quotes that inspire her. Can I just choose her entire book as one that inspires me? 

Top 5 Literary Quotes That Inspire Me



5. "They were careless people, Tom and Daisy--they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made. . .”

I'm a huge fan of The Great Gatsby, and this quote which is from chapter 9 always hits me particularly hard. Tom and Daisy both end up being the antagonists in the novel, and I love that they're not villains because of an exterior motive. It's not money, power, or revenge that's driving their actions, it's how selfish they are, and that makes them careless and the people whose lives are destroyed are just collateral damage. Their characters are so believable and they're probably the two characters in literature that I hated most.

4. “The bravest people are the ones who don’t mind looking like cowards.”

This is a quote from The Once and Future King by T.H. White which I read my sophomore year in high school. So many of the quotes have stuck with me, especially this one. I love characters who can be braver than they thought possible and as a result accomplish things they didn't believe they could. And I've always found the character who can admit they're scared and the character who isn't too proud to walk away from a fight are the characters I latch onto.

3. "What is vertigo? Fear of falling? No, Vertigo is something other than fear of falling. It is the voice of the emptiness below us which tempts and lures us, it is the desire to fall, against which, terrified, we defend ourselves."

When I read The Unbearable Lightness of Being, I was actually in Prague going to film school and the whole novel became embedded in this experience of my first trip overseas. This quote though, really sticks out and has come into play a lot of times in my life. It's that idea that sometimes we're afraid of success. The greatest thing about reading is that you can connect to a character and see that other people are like you. And I think it's those little moments that are least likely to be spoken about that are so wonderful and interesting to read about.

2. "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

This is the last line from The Great Gatsby and truthfully it was hard to pick just this line and not the whole passage. It's one of the most tragic and beautiful observations about human nature that I've ever read. As human beings we're always looking to the future, striving to achieve our dreams, refusing to give up hope, and yet we can't ever really escape our pasts.

1. "This above all: to thine own self be true."

This quote is from Hamlet, which is admittedly one of my favorite Shakespeare plays. (It's from Act I, scene 3 to be specific). I love the irony of the line, that it's  such great advice and yet it's Polonius who says it to Laertes and that in his speech, he's actually telling his son to put himself first. But taken more at face value, it's something that's important to me as a person and it inspires me as a writer. A lot of people--real people and characters--are trying to find themselves and figure out where they fit in the world. And being true to yourself and defining success and happiness by your own terms rather than societal standards is something I think we're all striving for.



Find Elizabeth on: Goodreads | Website / Blog | Twitter | Facebook

A massive, earth-shattering, interdimensional THANK YOU to Liz for her time today. If you haven't read Unravelling, I implore you to check it out. Don't let the words 'sci-fi' scare you off. Think Veronica Mars with a crazy, out-of-this-world twist, and romance so hot you may melt like the folks in the book. If you have read it, and loved it, why not go let Liz know?

13 comments:

  1. Awww, I feel guilty for not knowing any of the quotes above! I've heard of The Great Gatsby but never actually read it :'( I never read Hamlet's play too! BUT LOVE LOVE LOVE THE QUOTES that Elizabeth picked!

    I especially love this one:
    “The bravest people are the ones who don’t mind looking like cowards.”

    YES YES YES YES! That quote is truly inspiring.

    LOVE LOVE LOVE this post, Sarah! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are some very inspiring quotes indeed, all of them are from things I haven't read, apart from Hamlet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved THE GREAT GATSBY, too! :) I know what Elizabeth means about Tom and Daisy--they are selfish. And I love the ending sentence, too. I think Fitzgerald's writing has a nice kind of dreamy feel to it. :P

    Great post, Liz and Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I'm a total Great Gatsby fan, so I can completely understand why the quotes from TGG inspired her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, beautiful quotes <3 <3 So sweet <3 :) I did enjoy Unraveling SO SO MUCH! :) Janelle completely rocks :D And Ben, oh Ben <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post Elizabeth!!!!! I love the last line of Great GAsby so much!!!! And I found Unraveling a fantastic book though I am very sad about what happened to Alex in the end.
    Hamlet is an awesome play too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huge fan of The Great Gatsby. Love the quotes. Awesome post Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post. I love quotes, especially ones that are found in books are said by authors (Oscar Wilde is a personal fave of mine). The Hamlet line is ironic, yet great.

    -lauren

    ReplyDelete
  9. What wonderful quotes!! *sigh*
    but I looove and adore Elizabeth Noris! Unraveling totally surprised me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful quotes. i feel ashamed not have read the great Gatsby jet

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate to admit I haven't read any of the books her amazing quotes are from; but reading how they inspired her make me so want to run to my nearest bookstore and pick them up! I love how the words of one writer can inspire another, and the words of that writer inspire yet another and it's just a wonderful domino effect. Words have power <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know, I have never been the slightest bit interested in picking up The Great Gatsby but now? I really want to read it! Such amazing quotes that Elizabeth picked, all of them were incredibly inspiring! I've always loved the Hamlet quote... A friend of mine actually just got it tattooed on herself LOL.

    I neeeeeed to read Unravelling ASAP!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  13. The covers look amazing and I can not wait to read it. This book has been on my to read list for a while :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Blog Archive

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)