Monday, August 6, 2012

AAA: Interview with Marissa Meyer, author of Cinder


Growing up, which little girl didn't want to be a fairytale princess, like Cinderella? OK, yeah, maybe without the evil stepmother and sisters, scrubbing floors and hard work, but still. Well, today's amazing AAA author does one better than the folk story: A badass, mechanic, cyborg Cinderella. A woman after my own heart. Of course, it's none other than the one and only Marissa Meyer, author of CINDER! I am so excited to have Marissa here today. But I know you don't want to hear what I think when you could be reading about Marissa, so without further ado, the Magnificent Ms Meyer!


Cinder is your first published novel, but you've been writing for more than ten years, and got your start writing Sailor Moon fanfic (I can't even explain how cool this is). That's some serious dedication. Has writing always been the dream?

Marissa: Oh yes, I've wanted to be a writer since I first learned that such a job existed. I've always had an overactive imagination and I started writing poems and short stories when I was a little kid, and have harbored dreams of writing professionally since I was a teenager. The success that Cinder has been met with so far is definitely a dream come true.

What's been the most rewarding moment for you as an author?

Marissa: I've received a handful of emails from readers who say they don't like to read, but that they loved Cinder and are now looking for more books like it. That's such an enormous honor, as it breaks my heart to think there are people out there who don't understand the joy that books can bring. I firmly believe that there's a book out there for every reader, and I love that Cinder could be opening doors for people.

What do you do when you get stuck writing?

Marissa: Normally I just try to power through it, often leaving stupid notes in the chapter, like "insert fight scene here" or "and then something cool happens" - anything to keep the book moving along. I know I can always come back and fill it in later. If I'm really, truly stuck, then I'll go turn on my playlist and lay down on my living room floor and try to daydream my way through it.

Unless you're a sci-fi/science genius (which you may well be!), it seems like an incredible amount of research went into the mechanics of Cinder's world. How much time do you spend researching?

Marissa: I am not in any way a sci-fi genius! I spent quite a bit of time reading Scientific American and researching cyborgs and spaceships and conceptual moon colonies. I also watched and re-watched my Firefly DVDs about 50 billion times, hoping to capture a similar feel for my world.

Last one! I believe (at the time this was written) you're working on a draft of Winter (book 4)! Is it easier or harder writing sequels? Do deadlines change the process?

Marissa: Actually, my draft of Book 4: Winter is done (I wrote it last year!), and now I'm working on my revisions of Book 3: Cress. I feel like the difficulty level changes on a book-by-book basis. Book 2: Scarlet came together relatively easily, but I'm struggling a bit with Book 3 right now. There are pros and cons. On one hand, I've established so much of my world-building and characterization that I have less leg-work to do in these later books, but on the other hand, knowing that there are readers awaiting these books with expectations of their own does create some added pressure. I try not to think about that, though, and just tell the story I want to tell and hope that readers will enjoy it.



 

Find Marissa on: Goodreads | Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Thank you so much to Marissa for her time today. I LOVED Cinder—I'm talking top 10 of 2012 loved—and I know I'm not alone. If you haven't read it, you MUST check it out. If you have, why not track Marissa down and say 'thanks'?

36 comments:

  1. Awesome interview, and such good questions and *general excitement and flailing-arms enthusiasm*

    "If I'm really, truly stuck, then I'll go turn on my playlist and lay down on my living room floor and try to daydream my way through it."

    Ah ha, I love this and I want to try it next time I get stuck writing!
    And wow, ten years. Like you said, dedication! But so lucky for us that she kept at it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex! Oh my goodness, YES! Ten years... seriously, wow. And I'm SO glad she stuck with it, because Cinder was just... AMAZING. Oh, seriously, the awesome in the itnerview is all Marissa--I squealed when I saw her answers. She's amazing... I'm kind of in epic fangirl mode :D

      Delete
  2. I've been a fan of Marissa ever since her Sailor Moon fanfic days so it's so rewarding to see her with such success! I can't WAIT for Scarlet. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, are you serious? I wish I knew about the SM FF earlier! I still need to read, but it's kind of amazing :D

      Seriously, Scarlet? I can't WAIT. I waited way too long to read Cinder (MONTHS after everyone else), and it blew me away!

      Delete
  3. I loved Cinder too Sarah! Thanks for the interview Sarah and Marissa! I loved hearing your thoughts! I totally get coming up with ideas while listening to music, music is so relaxing and is always my biggest inspiration! Awesome interview!!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS. Music, I swear, is one of the biggest inspirations, huh? Seriously, Cinder was AMAZING. Just like its author :D

      Thanks Rachel! xx

      Delete
  4. Great interview, Sarah! I absolutely LOVED Cinder . . . I'm pretty much dying for the rest of the books in the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, YES! I seriously can't wait for Scarlet, and to see how she handles the fairytale, and Cinder's part in Scarlet's story and and and! EGDKAAJH! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

      Delete
  5. Lovely interview. I still need to read Cinder, but I hope too soon. I love that she wrote fan fics. I used to as well but never anything posted online. LOL

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren! Cinder is truly wonderful--I really hope you enjoy it xx

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful Interview! I loved Cinder and I cannot wait for Scarlet! It makes me so happy to hear that for some talented authors finally a dream comes true :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's lovely hearing it, especially when they work so hard! I am DYING for Scarlet ♥

      Delete
  8. I've yet to read Cinder (I know, bad me!) but after hearing how much you adore it and reading this awesome interview with Marissa, I hope to get my hands on a copy soon :) Amazing interview, cupcake! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll forgive you, as you're made of awesome ♥

      :P

      Seriously, though, B! It's wonderful. I mean... who doesn't love fairytales, but everything--from Cinder, to the Prince, to the setting and the world--is AMAZING. You'll love it :D

      Delete
    2. Naw, your more awesome. ♥

      I love fairytales. Who doesn't?! High praise coming from you, especially it being one of your top 10 of 2012! ;D

      Delete
  9. OMG, love this interview. I did not know she wrote Sailor Moon. I now love her even more. I can't wait for the next book.

    Even though writing wasn't always my passion, I love authors who knew from the get-go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of love hearing about passionate fans, if you know what I mean? Whether it's something I share in the fandom of, or not, I feel a kind of kindred spirit about it :D

      YES! Reading and writing weren't always my passions--but they sneak up on you, huh? xx

      Delete
  10. I'm still yet to read Cinder (>.>), but it sounds so good! Really looking forward to reading it! Great interview, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, JO! You'll LOVE IT. I mean, seriously... I just *know* you will. *bounces*

      OFF WITH YOU! GO READ CINDER! NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!

      Delete
  11. I loved Cinder and can't wait for the sequels to be released already.
    What's unbelievable is that she's finished the draft for book 4! wow, that's quick. And her dedication to her writing is amazing and really inspiring, it definitely payed off because she did a great job with Cinder :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW, RIGHT? I think she was writing them long before Cinder was published. But YES! The wait for Scarlet. I DIE.

      Delete
  12. Fantastic interview! I enjoyed Cinder and look forward to getting my hands on Scarlet. I love hearing about the sci-fi research that went into this book! I mean, how often does a job require looking up cyborgs and spaceships? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, I think that would be my damn dream job :D
      I LOVE it! Thanks, Sam ♥

      Delete
  13. Awwwwh. I loved Cinder! This was a brilliant interview! It's so weird to think the next books are all ready written and just need edits. Go Marissa, Go! :D

    *waves flag*

    Also, I agree with top 10 Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DAHFDJAFH! RIGHT?!
      And we're still going to be reading until... 2015? I so can't wait to see what she does next! ♥♥♥

      Delete
  14. I LOVE MARISSA MEYER [/fangirl] Cinder was SUCH a fabulous novel and I'm so, so excited to see what she has planned for Scarlet. And Cress! And Winter! *giddy at the thought of 3 more books* Ha, so she's NOT a sci-fi genius/god? Could have fooled me. I definitely must check out this Firefly, I've heard about it quite often.

    It must be such an amazing thing for an author to know that their book has inspired a non-reader to read... imagination is taking over the world, one incredible book at a time <3

    FANTASTIC INTERVIEW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *squishes*

      YES YES YES YES! Oh goodness. AND I WANT MORE KAI. KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIII. He's just... it's rare seeing YA boys that are just so good and nice and perfect without seeming lame and and and... AND!!! AND YES. YOU MUST CHECK OUT FIREFLY. THEN WATCH SERENITY. THEN CRY. AND WE CAN LAUGH ABOUT "CURSE YOUR SUDDEN YET INEVITABLE BETRAYAL."

      WASH.
      WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH. *SOBS*

      Seriously, YES. I love love LOVED hearing that. What a wonderful think it must be, indeed! ♥

      Delete
  15. Fantastic interview/hoping to read cinder soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Roro, I so so SO hope you love it! It's a seriously wonderful/kickass/awesome book!

      Delete
  16. Cinder is currently at the VERY top of my TBR list. Unfortunately, there's a rather long waiting list at the library and my bookstore was out when I decided I couldn't wait any longer! Urgh. Frustration! Haha. Maybe I'll have them order it for me cuz' the more I read about this book the more I'm convinced I'm going to love it. I mean, Marissa watched and re-watched Firefly to get a similar feel for her book? I'm already sold! :) Thanks Marissa & Sarah for this great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sailor Moon fanfic....well there you go! I have not read Cinder yet, but I was deliberately waiting until Scarlet came out as I wanted to binge on two books at once. Marissa ( blog partner) has read it:)

    Wonderful Q's. I love reading interviews and finding out author insightful things:D

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I just adored Sailor Moon as a child. Didn't know Cinder started as a fan fiction, but now I'm definitely gonna read it.

    Anyways, I like how you get through a writers block. I sort of do the same thing - trying to get inspiration from music, photographs, movies etc.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome interview! I like that the most rewarding part of being an author, in her opinion, is creating a new reader because they love her book! I want to read her book so badly haha

    ReplyDelete
  20. *perks ears up* Firefly for research purposes? I like the sound of that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Sarah, you are SO NOT ALONE! I am DYING to get my hands on Scarlet -- Cinder is definitely in my top 10 as well, I LOVED IT SO MUCH <3

    I reaaaally need to watch Firefly! I've had it recommended to me from so many people and it's not like there's too much to watch...

    Aah, I completely agree with that line about there being a book for every person. I can't imagine not having reading in my life!

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Blog Archive

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)