Friday, August 24, 2012

AAA: Jennifer L. Armentrout - 5 Things I Hate About Writing


I’m so excited to share a post from the amazing Jennifer L. Armentrout for you today. Jennifer's the author of some of the most compulsively addictive books I've EVER read, a hilarious tweeter, and enthusiastic blogger herself. While this month is all about appreciating authors, Jennifer recently posted about why she appreciates bloggers in an open 'thank you' letter, and it only makes me love and appreciate her more (seriously, you should go and check it out). Jennifer’s an incredibly hard-working writer, with three-full length novels published in the last year, and her second book in the Lux series, Onyx, just released. But not everything about writing is easy, and today she’s sharing with us the bits that aren’t so fun...

Top 5 Things I Hate About Writing.


1. The first chapter. Nothing makes me want to go rock in a dark corner more than the first chapter of any book. Knowing where to start a book is always the hardest. If you mess up, the whole pace of the book is off and angels lose their wings.

2. Outlining gives me hives.

3.  Synopsis equals the antichrist. Try summarizing a 460 page book into 2 pages while telling the entire plot and giving enough detail that someone knows what the book is about but only having approximately a 1000 words to do so. Then getting halfway through and realizing you can’t summarize the plot because your plot is ALL OVER THIS PLACE. Le sigh.

4. Writing the query/blurb, which is like writing the synopsis but not giving away the entire story, but making it interesting enough that someone in the world wants to read but having only 150-250 words to do so. Yikes.

5. Proofing. I just suck at the whole proofing stage.




Find Jennifer on: Goodreads | Website / Blog | Twitter | Facebook

An big thank you to Jennifer for her time today! Love Jen? Why not let her know? And is anyone else reading Onyx right now? THE TENSION :O :O :O  *DIES*

Giveaway!

Don't forget to go enter the AAA giveaway! It's open internationally, and there are DOZENS of books to be given away, including two copies of When You Were Mine.
a Rafflecopter giveaway

22 comments:

  1. Hehe!!!! Love this post! And.. although I am not an writer/author I can totally relate!!!

    When I had to write my dissertation, I HATED the first chapter( Introduction) I hated it fiercely... and.. I did a very bad job at my summery aka synopsis.. It turned out way too long :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness... it has to be hard, huh? I'm a web designer, and that moment, looking at a blank canvas? The possibilites are ENDLESS... and CRUSHING :D

      Delete
  2. yes we can understand those in a way even without being a writer but if you takes onyx for example the first chapter is perfect ^^

    thank you for being so attentive to your readers and bloggers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YESSSS! Have you read Onyx yet? OMG. MY EMOSHUNS.

      Delete
  3. LOL, this post made me laugh. I am so scared to write a synopsis. It seems impossible.

    Proofreading is why my book is taking so long. I HATE it.

    Wow Jennifer, you write a lot of books a year, I totally want to be you right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, it's so easy to take a book you read in 5 hours for granted, but SOOO MUCH WORK! YOU PEOPLE ARE AMAZING *HUGS*

      Delete
  4. Ugh, some days writing must be so hard! I think it's easy to think that writers just sit down and their words pour out but it must be so hard to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? And balancing the other parts of life? It must be hard to separate. Amazing people like Jennifer, huh? :D

      Delete
  5. I love this post. Jennifer, thank you for sharing that even published authors with great books have the same hang-ups regarding their writing as the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's seriously enouraging, huh? AMAZING to see :D

      Delete
  6. Great post, I would hate proofing! I adore Jen and her novels. Thanks for letting us learn a little more about her views on the writing process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, even proofing EMAILS drives me nuts! <3

      Delete
  7. I bet writing the first chapter would be VERY DAUNTING. The start of a story, can make it or break it, and I can't even imagine the pressure there would be to deliver BAM from the start. Writing sounds like a tough, scary, frustrating process. How authors manage to do it, stay (mostly) sane and deliver amazing stories? Unless we join the cool cats (aka, authors) we will never ever know.

    Off to read Jennifer's open 'thank you' letter to bloggers :) *runs off*

    Beautiful post <33

    ReplyDelete
  8. I HATE writing first chapters too! Argh. That's my major problem when I'm writing a manuscript. Especially that first line! I also hate outlining . . . I try for a little while but it never seems to complete itself for whatever reason. I guess I just like waiting for a surprising idea to pop into my head instead of looking at a page and writing that scene I've written down.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I'm not a writer so I can only imagine what these things are like, but I can understand why writing the blurb for a book is difficult! It's pretty much the main reason people are drawn to books (second to covers for some people!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can imagine! Writing blurbs has always sounded so hard to me - how do you find the balance, and not give too much of the story away? The first chapter as well - you have to make people want to read on with that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Summaries MUST be insanely hard to write. I mean, they look easy and effortless from THIS side of the fence, but when you know the entire story and want to hook readers in with the AWESOME stuff that happens say, 7 chapters in, but is a massive plot twist... well, you just CAN'T. You have to be all secretive and selective and ugh. Difficult.

    And first chapters too. I CAN IMAGINE.

    AWESOME post. I love seeing the differing pros and cons authors have with writing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HOW HAVE I NEVER READ ANYTHING OF HER'S BEFORE?
    1. I've heard nothing but praise about all of her books
    2. That thankyou post to bloggers? *bows at feet* I LOVE HER.

    God she seems hilarious, I need to get her books now because she seems awesome! Brilliant post :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVED Jennifer's letter to bloggers! <3 Honestly so sweet of her. I reaaaaaally need to pick that copy of Half-Blood off my shelf and get started!

    GAH. It's the synopsis and query that sound the most painful to me off this list. I'm so bad at summarizing things. Like when people ask me what the book I'm reading is about? WHY DON'T YOU GRAB A SEAT AND A NICE DRINK BECAUSE I MAY TAKE A COUPLE OF HOURS. I think the first chapter thing is interesting though! :) I've heard from a lot of authors that it's one of their favourite parts but I can definitely see why it would be incredibly daunting too.

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I am coming late to some of your postings but I still appreciate reading them all whether I am a bit late to them . Jennifer is one of my fave authors in YA.

    Setting the opening chapter would be hard and eeepp!! I love how honest authors are about how they feel. Lovely posting:D

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Blog Archive

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)