Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Eve and Adam, Katherine Applegate & Michael Grant

Title: Eve and Adam
Author: Katherine Applegate (website) & Michael Grant (website)
Release Date: Oct. 1st 2012 by Hardie Grant Egmont
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction
My Rating:1 star2 star3 starhalf star

With the likes of Cinder, Unravelling, Obsidian—not to mention dystopian as a genre—it seems sci-fi’s been making a comeback of late. But while hi-tech, high-stakes and twisty plots are to sci-fi what teen angst and pointy teeth are to paranormal, sometimes, it’s just fun—and the Grant/Applegate dream-team deliver ‘fun’ in Eve and Adam by the bucket-load.

From Goodreads:
In the beginning, there was an apple.

And then there was a car crash, a horrible, debilitating injury, and a hospital. But before Evening Spiker's could regain consciousness, there was strange boy checking her out of the hospital and rushing her to Spiker Biopharmaceuticals, her mother’s research facility. Once there, Eve has to heal, and cope with an eerie isolation only interrupted by her overbearing mother, a strange group of doctors, and the mysterious boy who brought her there.

Just when Eve thinks she will die–not from her injuries, but boredom—her mother gives her a special project: Create the perfect boy.

Using an amazingly detailed simulation, that is designed to teach human genetics, Eve starts building a boy from the ground up: eyes, hair, muscles, even a brain, and potential personality traits. Eve is creating Adam. And he will be just perfect... won’t he?

The Story:

Evening Spiker expects to wake up dead after she mangles an arm, loses a leg and a whole lot of blood in a brutal car accident. Turns out hospital’s the next best thing. But she’s not there for long. No sooner is she waking up from surgery than her control freak, biopharmaceutical billionaire mother is whisking her away to her state-of-the-art research facility. Well, having her hot, blond, teenage errand boy, Solo, do the whisking for her.

Five-star luxury recovery wards are nice and all, but Eve is going out of her mind from boredom. To keep her busy, mummy-dearest gives her a task: design the perfect boy. Using state-of-the-art software designed to teach genetics, Eve’s the Beta tester for an interface that makes The Sims look like Kindergarten cut-and-paste.

But things don’t seem quite normal at Spiker Biopharm. Eve’s healing quickly—too quickly—Mummy’s keeping secrets, and errand boy Solo may not be quite what he seems.

The 101:

Three letters, vastly underrated, sum up Eve and Adam in a nutshell: F-U-N. Husband and wife writing team, Michael Grant and Katherine Applegate set out to entertain and do just that.

Eve and Adam starts out at rocketing pace, with main character, Evening, losing a leg and having it sewn back on in a space during which you could your breath, and continues until the final page. Fast, funny, and irreverent, this a light read filled with exciting plot twists, nicely bridging the space between middle grade and young adult fiction. Grant and Applegate manage a masterful balance between pace, plot, entertaining characters and light romance, hitting all the right marks, while never getting weighed down in genre or category tropes.

Told through the split point of view of Evening Spiker and Solo Plissken, each character has a distinct, but equally exciteable and delightfully humorous, voice, and one gets the feeling that, between these two, there’s nothing they couldn’t accomplish—corporate espionage is merely their first stop. But Eve and Adam is very much a plot-driven tale, rather than a character driven-one. It’s a story about protoscience, gene ethics and high-stakes corporate conspiracies far more than a story about Eve, Solo, or indeed, its titular Adam.

There’s a space for Deep Thoughts and a time for existential angst. Grant and Applegate don’t maintain pretentions about either. Eve and Adam aims for fun and delivers.

The Verdict:

A fast-paced, plot-driven, sci-fi thriller, Eve and Adam is quick, electrifying and enormously fun fiction from a much loved authorly dream team. Readers looking for end of the world high stakes and ‘I can’t live without you’ romance may be disappointed, but those who are looking for fast, exciting entertainment will be thrilled. Pitch-perfect MG/YA cross over, Grant and Applegate deliver in this inventive, entertaining sci-fi romp.

Want it? Get it:

Angus & Robertson | Booktopia | Borders/Bookworld | Dymocks | QBD
An enormous thank you to Hardie Grant Egmont  for providing a review copy of Eve and Adam!

26 comments:

  1. This sounds like... fun! Great review Sarah! I am intrigued, but I wish I knew a little more about the plot. I guess that's too spoilery though. Oh well! I'll probably give this a go! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO fun, Jo!
      I think 'fun' can be overrated... you know how we want depth, and complex characters, but sometimes... well, sometimes just FUN is perfect, you know?

      Delete
  2. This sounds soooo good! I initially wanted to read it for the cover and Michael Grant, but your review (which is the first I've read) made me really excited. I'm hoping one of my friends will buy it so I can steal it from them XD I'm glad it was fun and humorous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone, but *whispers* It's my first Michael Grant book >__<

      It reall *IS* fun, and I so hope you like it! xx

      Delete
  3. I have to agree with you on this one, Sarah - it was fun. I enjoyed it, but I needed more depth to it for my own personal taste unfortunately, but I still liked it. Wonderful review, dear!(:

    ~Keertana
    Ivy Book Bindings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Keertana! I SOOO get what you mean. I could totally do with more depth, but still enjoyed it just for being what it is, you know? :)

      It could have been AMAZING. I was still way pleased with just good ol' fashioned fun though, you know? ;D

      Delete
  4. I want this! I've read mixed reviews but I'm super curious about the story and it sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Braine, it's SO much fun. I really hope you enjoy it ♥

      Delete
  5. I really am interested in this book, but I'm not big on plot-driven stories. I love character-driven stories way more, so I wonder if I might like this one. Thanks for pointing that out, though. It can be appreciated, after all, with the right expectations. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TOTALLY. And honestly, I think you've hit the nail on the head there, and it applies to all stories: expectations.

      You're always going to be dissapointed if you expect one thing, and feel burned by what you actually got.

      I REALLY hope you enjoy it, Cathy! ♥

      Delete
  6. I've read mixed things about this book but I'm glad you still enjoyed it. Fab review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I read a few so/so things before posting... it's just... fun. It's not a big, in-depth, 'thinky' book. It's just good FUN, and sometimes that's kind of perfect XD

      Delete
  7. RIGHT, so basically everything that I wanted to say but couldn't do nearly as well as you! When will your brain be ready for pick-up again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SONIA.

      I HAS MENTIONED I LOVE YOU, RIGHT?
      'Cos I DO.

      You know, as long as you're coming to Australia, maybe you should arrange bulk delivery for both Brodie and mine... which would make it significantly easier to kidnap you >:D

      Delete
  8. I've seen this book on the shelves a fair bit this last week and keep going to buy it but something stops me. It looks like it could be a good read but not really something I'm interested in investing time in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I SO get that. On the bright side, it's a super-quick and seriously fun read :)

      Maybe it's one to borrow from the library, then ;D

      Delete
  9. I would have liked a bit more depth (and I wish Solo had been more appealing) but this book was a lot of fun. I didn't think; I just read and I finished it fairly quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I didn't think; I just read and I finished it fairly quickly."

      AGREED. I was much the same, and had SO much fun doing it ♥

      Delete
  10. I saw another review for this book and fell in love with the concept. It doesn't seem to be the next huge book or anything, but, as you know, I am looking for fun books and I think this is would fit me right now.

    Great review as always.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fun s definitely the right word to describe this book! I think I'd enjoy EVE AND ADAM way more, though, if the authors developed the plot and characters more, but it was short and nice, so I'm not complaining! Brilliant review, Sarah! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This really does seem F-U-N. If I read this, I'm not expecting too much but I think it would be a nice, quick read. Lovely review as always, S!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm waiting to read this one very eagerly- it sounds really interesting and I really think that is an exceptional cover! And that beginning- that sounds intense. (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't realise this was a sci-thriller. I am seeing reviews with a similar rating across the board. Sounds like F-U-N ! hehe!!

    Glad you had F-U-N reading it!

    :D:D

    Mich

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so interested in this one! The concept sounds awesome and the cover is pretty cool. I'm not sure how I feel about science fiction thrillers, but it does sound really good!

    Thanks for sharing, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks as though this is back on my to-read list then. ;) Sometimes a fun read is all I want, nothing more. This sounds great for that! Lovely review, Sarah. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read this recently too and enjoyed it although it was not quite what I expected! The concept behind the book is actually really interesting and the husband and wife duo is definitely great!

    Awesome review, Sarah! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)