Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky #2), Veronica Rossi



Title:through the ever night veronica rossi Through The Ever Night
Author: Veronica Rossi (author website | blog)
Release Date: January 8th 2013 by ATOM
Age Group: Young Adult
Genre: Dystopian
My Rating:1 star2 star3 star4 star


Sequels are tricky things; even more so 'middle books'. With a happy romantic union cemented in book one, how does the author sustain chemistry? With a journey underway, how does she maintain momentum on route to a distant conclusion? Is it time to answer questions? Pose them? Fans are demanding creatures—the more ardent, the more so—but, as readers, our favourite authors win our trust for a reason, a reason Veronica Rossi demonstrates in Through the Ever Night.
From Goodreads:
Aria has struggled to build a life for herself outside Reverie. It hasn't been easy adjusting to life in the wilderness but that struggle has been worth it with Perry by her side.But Perry has other challenges. His people are looking to him for answers. Answers about what happened to his nephew and what's happening to their world. And they don't trust the privileged Aria, one of the enemy, in their midst.Soon he'll be forced to chose between the tribe that looks to him for leadership and the girl that looks to him for love.

We left Aria and Perry locked in a joyous embrace in Under the Never Sky, and it is where we find them in Through the Ever Night. But their reunion is not to be a drawn out, happy thing. Peregrine of the Tides is now Peregrine, Blood Lord of the Tides. Where once he enjoyed unfettered freedom, the weight of hundreds of lives now rests on his teenage shoulders, and his people do not take kindly to a daughter of the people who stole their children sharing their home.

Aria finds herself no less entangled. Charged with the hope of those who exiled her, Aria must find the Still Blue, a fabled land free from the deadly storms of the Aether sky, or face the death of all she holds dear.

It’s a dark place to find Perry and Aria, and where Under the Never Sky ended with hope, Through the Ever Night quickly forms fractures and wears it down. Aria, exiled from her home, without family, and trapped as a pawn of the manipulative Consul Hess, is isolated, even from Perry. She’s strong and selfless, and, having developmed a quiet wisdom, finds herself torn between love and sacrifice. Though Perry owns her heart, Aria—an outsider amongst the Outsiders—can see her presence undermining Perry’s new and fragile leadership. She’s faced with difficult choices, and each direction leads to pain and isolation. It’s the first of many obstacles the couple faces, and creates a wedge, forcing larger cracks.

The story separates the couple quickly and, apart, Through the Ever Night shows Perry’s analogous strengths and weaknesses. It seems that, in story, nuance and detail, Rossi may be playing favourites with her children. There’s a weight given to Perry’s story, an extra layer of complexity which render Perry’s pages the most memorable. If, perhaps, Under the Never Sky was Aria’s tale, this is Perry’s. Perry is caught in an unenviable position between right and wrong, instinct and reason. Seen as ‘rash’ by his tribe, he is judged not entirely by his actions, but a violent undercurrent of desperation. He’s torn between the ability to act with the freedom he has always known, and his responsibility for hundreds of lives. It is a painful thing to witness, but Perry, as Aria, demonstrates remarkable growth over of the course of the story. Both battle very real internal foes, as well as external: doubt, fear, desperation and betrayal are demons they both face in varying degrees.

While Aria and Perry are separated by distance much of the novel, they are never far from each other's thoughts, and each grows stronger individually. While second instalments frequently see couples breaking up and angst filled confrontations, the couple share something profound, and it shapes them, but they have purposes and goals. Neither abandons their friends and responsibilities because they cannot live without the other.

It seems as though Through the Ever Night could easily pose as a parable for the pressures of childhood and young adulthood in the modern world; the conflicting worship of youth, but the push to learn faster, grow faster, mature, absorb, and assimilate. The burdens its young heroes face are crushing and unfair, yet ultimately the story concerns itself more with love and friendship and family. There are messages to be found, certainly, but they are much like images seen in clouds on lazy days: there for those who choose to find them, regardless of their creator's intent.

The Verdict:


With the final page turned and many months free for reflection (the trilogy's conclusion is, after all, not expected for a year), I find myself reluctant to leave Aria and Perry's world behind. The Aether sky shines and flows in my imagination, and its characters whisper, beckoning my return. Rossi proves a talent for creating hope, sweet and pure as, despite the tale's darker moments (of which there are many), I find myself lingering not on the pain, but on its hopeful final pages, on reunion, smiles, and a wish for tomorrow.

Books in This Series:



  1. Under The Never Sky (2012)

  2. Through The Ever Night (2013)

  3. Into the Still Blue (Expected 2014)


Want it? Get it:


Amazon | Book Depository | Booktopia (AU) | Bookworld (AU) | Dymocks (AU)

36 comments:

  1. Still haven't started this series yet. So many books, so little time! :) Very excited to get to it after reading both your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know that feeling! Thanks so much, Kim -- it took me a while to get to them, too ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woot! I am so glad you loved this sequel, Sarah! I was so surprised by the original direction it took - so different from most sequels - and I cannot WAIT for Book 3. I feel like there's a LOT to cover in it, but I'm looking forward to it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was hesitant to read this series at first but once I got to it I totally loved it! I have to say I love Perry better than Aria and I like how that Rossi focused more on the Outsiders than the boring, cold and sterile Reverie.

    Plus I am really intrigued by Cinder. Who is that boy? Like I hope Rossi gives us more about his character because I'd really hate it if he stays a secondary character w/o a background. His story is begging to be told

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really excited to hear you say that this is Perry's story - I wanted to know so much more about him and his tribe in Under the Never Sky.

    Also, didn't know the third book had a name - Into the Still Blue! It sounds so pretty and I love how it sounds like an end to the journey-ish feel of the other two titles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fell in love with the series the moment I started reading Under the Never Sky. I read Through the Ever Night right after I finished the first. AWESOME series. I just want to squish Aria and Perry because they are so perfect together, and Roar...poor Roar, I just want to love him and make him mine, LOL.

    Love the review, Sarah! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend recently sent me a copy of this so I will get to it...eventually. I love the line you said about UTNS ending with hope and this one CRUSHING IT!!! I am prepared to be crushed and heartbroken by this book. Your last paragraph is sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ROAR! I LOVE ROAR! Enough said. Hehe. I just adored him in this book.

    Anyway great review! I definitely loved this book more than the first thankfully . . . considering I wasn't totally won over by the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh, I can't read the review. I am reading book one soon though. I will come back after that. Happy to see you gave it a good rating though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Keertana, I agree! It was very unexpected--LOVED it ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Braine, me too! I'm not even sure why--it took me ages to read UtNS, but then I fell SO in love.

    "I have to say I love Perry better than Aria and I like how that Rossi focused more on the Outsiders than the boring, cold and sterile Reverie."

    EXACTLY. It took me so long to get into UtNS, I think, because it starts out in Reverie. Once it started? MAGIC ♥

    And HELL YES to Cinder!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Kelly, me too! And it's satisfying and heartbreaking all at once. I love what you said about Into the Still Blue being an appropriate 'the end' name. You are SO right. I'm kind of nervous and excited :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness. Lisa. Yes. And in TtEN... Roar... and Liv... and the CRYING. It broke my heart :(

    Thank you so much! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad to see that you enjoyed this, Sarah! Okay, so I HAVEN'T read UtNS (I give you permission to hit me with a frying pan), but I promise I will. I just need to try to control my spendings. Anyway, I'm happy that the sequel wasn't one of the second-book-failures. Definitely makes me more excited to read the series. It does sound like it develops the characters more, so that's definitely a plus! (Sorry I couldn't read the whole review - I don't want to get any spoilers!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab review, I really enjoyed UTNS so I can't to read this one, very relieved and happy it doesn't suffer from 2nd book syndrome :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. STUNNING review—you're a talented writer! You've definitely convinced me to give this one a try x

    I'm intrigued by the premise and love the overarching themes that you picked up on. Your insight on the character's perspectives are interesting... will have to read the book myself to determine anything further!

    ♥ Karielle @ Books à la Mode

    ReplyDelete
  17. Guh. YOU. I am so envious and awed by your talents at looking past that, "THIS IS SO SO SO GOOD" reaction you have when finishing a book and digging your claws into the emotions and themes and messages of the story and summing it up in the most beautiful way.

    "Rossi proves a talent for creating hope, sweet and pure, as, despite the tale’s darker moments (of which there are many) I find myself lingering not on the pain, but on its hopeful final pages, on reunion, smiles, and a wish for tomorrow." <3333333

    ReplyDelete
  18. What is it with second books and all the sudden tension and break ups? I hate that! I'm glad the romance here was never too angsty, though. Rossi got the balance between her characters and plot just right for me, and I'm thrilled to see that you enjoyed it too. Perfect review as always, Sarah!

    Annnd... Siege & Storm! I can't wait to see what you think of it when you're done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. FJHFDKAFSKJG. Elena. Your comment made my ego go KSFJGFKLSJGA.
    THANK YOU.

    And seriously, 'sublime'? I love this word. AND I LOVE YOU.
    And I REALLY hope you love it ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAR!

    'Nuff said ^__^

    I'm so glad you liked it more, Erin! I love the first one, but it took a little warming up ;D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Squeeeeeeeee! J! I hope you love it! I can't wait to see your review ♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. I WOULD NEVER HIT YOU WITH A FRYING PAN! Or any other piece of kitchen equipment, for that matter ^__^

    I do hope you love it, and I'm with you on skipping spoilers--excellent plan ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooooh, T, thank you so much! I loved it just as much as the first book. It really is extraordinary, and the friendship between Roar and Aria is worth it alone ♥

    Thank you so much! xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, Karielle, thank you! Seriously, I kind of blushed when I read your comment.

    I really did love this book (COULD YOU TELL? :P) and I hope you love it as much as I, if you read it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  25. SJGFKJSG. BRODIE. *huggles*
    THANK YOU.
    I was sending off a lot of e-mails about it while I was reading, and I think it helped kind of... form my thoughts on it WHILE I was reading. So I had the KFSJGKJFSGFKG GOOOOOOD reaction, and the HDFDSJAFHDJLASF THOOOOOUGHTS reaction simultaneously ;D

    ReplyDelete
  26. SAMMMM, YES. RIGHT?
    This: "Rossi got the balance between her characters and plot just right for me." EXACTLY.
    It felt, to me, a necessary extension of the story. Not just a 'how do I fill in the gaps between beginning and end?'

    SIEGE AND STOOOOOORM! I'm up to Stormhund's reveal now. Can't wait to keep reading ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  27. Peregrine, BLOOD Lord of the Tides?! Way to hook me, lady!

    It sounds like this book is really his story, and being that I liked him better than Aria, I might--MIGHT--give this one a go, despite my more middling reactions to the first book. All these raves for book two have me curious. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  28. GORGEOUS REVIEW AS ALWAYS SAZ <3

    "If, perhaps, Under the Never Sky was Aria’s tale, this is Perry’s" <-- completely agree! I think TtEN was Perry AND Roar's too in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have been so very impressed with the reviews for this one. Sequels can be tricky, I agree, but it truly sounds like everyone has been really appreciating this one as a good sequel. I haven't read this series yet myself, but I am impressed by the amount of complexity you say it has, as I think I misjudged this one to be more of a simple and fun action novel. Gahh, this sounds great so I better read the first one soon!! This was a stellar review, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  30. *rolls around in your review*

    So so SO MANY parts of your review are so SPOT ON that I have to refrain from listing them all because I'd end up quoting the entire review back to you. Like you, I think this was Perry's book. He did have the biggest journey, character wise.

    This book killed me. OH. ALL THE LOVE. THE HURT! In a time when I'm struggling to read books in a week, I finished this in a day. If that's not an indication of how awesome this book is, I don't know what is.

    *rolls around in your review more*

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ahahaha! Awwwww *rubs your belly*
    NO, AMANDA! I'm totally imagining you as Lucy right now :P

    It was AMAAAAAZING, right? And YES. One of those books I really wanted to read RIGHT THERE AND THEN ♥

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ha! Did you also know Lucy likes to lick balls?

    True story.

    Um. BUT THIS BOOK. IT IS AMAZING. AND SO IS YOUR REVIEW.

    ReplyDelete
  33. WHOSE?

    And does make you twins? *snickers*

    ReplyDelete
  34. Uh... tennis balls.

    I do not lick tennis balls.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Amazing review! I've had this on my shelf for a little while now I NEED to go and read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am enjoying this series too. I am looking forward to this one so I only had a peek at your review. I am glad Braine gave it another go. Gosh I have some books to catch up on. I went a bit off schedule as my brain needed it :)

    Woot!!

    Mich

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin


Currently Reading:

Follow Me

Can't see Google Friend Connect? Join This Site

Want an e-mail notification when there's a new post at saz101? Enter your e-mail, and the Feedburner faeries will answer your wishes ♥

 

I receive books from publishers, in exchange for honest reviews. When this is the case, I state so at the end of each post. This doesn't effect my review of the book, or my opinion, and I receive no monetary compensation for anything posted on this site.
When you click on a link to Amazon from www.saz101.com, I receive a small referral fee on any purchases made. It won't cost you any more to buy your books this way, but it does help to support this blog.
If you have any questions about any of the content on this site, contact me :)